Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
eddie said:
I find this a refreshing commentary. Since most here are ardent supporters of the 2nd Amendment rights, I would like to hear your comments.

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/colum ... 17089.html
Of course you find it refreshing. However, a compromise would only serve to make you theoretically more secure. The REALITY is, you would NOT BE more secure.

If you were in a Mall and some unbalanced mental reject started shooting at unarmed citizens, you might find that a well armed, law abiding citizen might be the only thing standing between you and death.

We can't keep human beings from crossing the borders, so it would be stupid to think illegal guns wouldn't also get here that way. They do now.

If people want to kill other people, they can easily find ways to do so.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Name any gun made and inside of 24 hours it can be purchased completly outside of the system in place today and any system put in place in the future. All the legislation does is make them a bit more expensive. You would have to be a humped over retard not to know that.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
I don't understand the continuing obsession with the artifacts rather than doing something about the antisocials and mentally damaged individuals out there that create the atrocities with what ever device is at hand. Classic examples Columbine and the Virginia shootings. The local cops at in the Columbine area had heard the rattlesnakes buzzing and never did a thing to prevent it. And in Virginia the school officials did nothing to reduce the targets for the nut. It happens over and over. What makes you think it will be easier to BAN-Taboo some device that is inert by itself? You wanna reduce the frequency of such atrocities. Make psychological evaluation de rigor or all 6th graders, flag those with antisocial tendencies.
Do it again to 8th graders, and anually there after. Make the evaluation part of getting a drivers license. etc. Big Brother wants to play. Give him something to chew on.

eddie, and the rest of you that think you can legislate the human behaviour profile need to stop the dreams of paradise/utopia and get real.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Theking said:
Name any gun made and inside of 24 hours it can be purchased completly outside of the system in place today and any system put in place in the future. All the legislation does is make them a bit more expensive. You would have to be a humped over retard not to know that.
King, you sir, are an ass. Actually, sir is being too kind. I will choose to use the wonderful new feature on the new board to ignore your posts as they bring absolutely zero value to this community and 8 out of 10 times they are incredibly negative. I have spoken out on this board before about you and I will do it again. I cannot fathom for a minute why on earth you would be missed. conf:

Eddie asked a sincere question and in the only fashion you seem to be cable of, you denigrate and slander. Not just Eddie, but everyone regardless of their level of intellect.

Take it easy, "King". I won't be seeing you any more. Tup:

I wish I had more time to interact in these conversations and participate, but for now I just have to do "drive by postings" :mrgreen: without getting too involved as my attendance here is "hit or miss" :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Mad ca one I already miss your attendance at some of the discussions. Even tho often poles apart your input is welcome. I just wish the posts were more issue driven than personality driven.

Btw I personally believe TKs commentary is often keyed to the manner in which he is treated by Divider, Webo and a few other of above reproach ones. Maybe he just lets it get to him rather than laughing at their frolics.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
In other words Howard... it's really MY fault that Theking is what he is! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I gotta hand it to ya... for an old man... you SURE can dance and shuffle Sko! Tup: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
You gotta admit those were YOUR words Webo, not mine. Maybe you overlooked the 'MAYBE. Oh well it the Fhoe 5its wear it.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Howie is sensative I see. Its a line from the movie Slingblade.

It helps to laugh a little in life Howie rather than get all humped up over every percieved slight or wrong. Please ignore me I would apprecaite anyone with out a sense of humor to do the same.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Webo said:
In other words Howard... it's really MY fault that Theking is what he is! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I gotta hand it to ya... for an old man... you SURE can dance and shuffle Sko! Tup: :mrgreen:
I think all of ya'll go overboard too much and adversely effect everyone else. I am a perfect angel on one board, and a pervert on another... and a witch here.

I don't change who I am, I just do what's permitted and expected.

·
Banned
1,674 Posts
Skorzeny said:
treated by Divider, .
Defending him is your perogative of course, but I am surprised at the company you choose to keep in that regard.

Evidently you don't actually read his stuff, do you ?

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
King,
I grew up with "Howie". Only my mother, grandmother and my best friend of 30 years call me that now. My Grandfathers name was Howard so I didn't have much of a choice.
As far as your posts go, maybe some flashy emoticons would help. :shock: wink: I just don't see humor in your posts. I have a good sense of humor but you fail miserably in bringing it out.

Jabba,
If I had more time I would no doubt be more issue driven but the scarce amount of time I have on the board doesn't allow me to get into subjects. I wish I had more time both here at work and at home. I gave up Gamefishin at home for time with my wife and family. Good trade off! At work I wear many hats and have alot of people working for me so time here just doesn't allow it.

As far as TK's posts being comparable to Webo and Divider, I can't do that. I find humor in both of their styles. Even you take some good pokes at people, but it's in the way you deliver it. It's your style that can make even the target smile.

Sincerely,

Humorless Howard wink:

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the pertinent part of the commentary (emphasis added by me). Only FS has commented on the editorial although she certainly gave ample evidence of her ideological purity in her response. And, no, I am not concerned about being shot in a mall, but thank you for thinking of my safety!

For those of you that are committed to the 2nd Amendment, can you accept the contentions highlighted in red? For those of you who are generally supporters of gun control legislation accept the contentions highlighted in green?

"Whether a right to individual gun ownership can be found in the Second Amendment or not, the perception of that right is so deeply ingrained that legal theory is -- here's that word again -- superfluous. Do you really think, regardless of what the court rules, it would be possible to ban firearms on a national scale? I think any attempt to do so would lead to uprisings we can scarcely imagine.

What we have here, then, is another case of theory versus reality. It's a confrontation that did not have to happen.

The problem with this debate is that it has always been defined by its most extreme voices, its most uncompromising, ideologically pure voices.But what if gun-control advocates got over the idea that getting the right ruling from the right court would magically make guns disappear? And what if gun advocates got over the notion that every attempt at firearms regulation is a step toward totalitarianism? Where might this debate go then?

What if supporters of gun control could concede that hunting is, for some, an honored tradition? That some people feel it necessary to have a weapon at home for protection? That some entirely rational folks simply like guns?

Could gun-rights people then concede that you don't need an assault weapon to go deer hunting? And that manufacturers who flood poor, violence-prone neighborhoods with cheap handguns ought to be held accountable? And that guys who sell guns from the trunks of their cars are nobody's friend? And that background checks and gun-safety classes for new gun owners make us all safer? And that gun registration isn't totalitarianism any more than a driver's license is? And, most of all, that all of us are tired of seeing children shoot children with guns they never should have had access to?
It's called compromise and, no, it would hardly mollify ideological purists. It would not make guns disappear, or acknowledge an individual right to bazooka ownership. What it would do, though, is recognize that ideological purity has its limits. That's a good thing to remember.

When theory confronts reality, put your money on reality every time."

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Could gun-rights people then concede that you don't need an assault weapon to go deer hunting?

Who decides what an assault weapon is? What criteria do you use...a rifle that 'looks scary' or has a pistol grip?

And that manufacturers who flood poor, violence-prone neighborhoods with cheap handguns ought to be held accountable?

If they're selling the guns illegally then yes, but tell me what manufactures are doing so?

And that guys who sell guns from the trunks of their cars are nobody's friend?

If they're committing a crime then there are laws already in place to prosecute them.

And that background checks and gun-safety classes for new gun owners make us all safer?

We already have background checks for handguns sold to potential buyers by FFL dealers.

And that gun registration isn't totalitarianism any more than a driver's license is?

It depends on who comes into power light: ....knowing who has the guns and where they are can prove very useful:

http://constitutionalistnc.tripod.com/h ... /id14.html

Nazi Weapons Act of 1938 (Translated to English)

Classified guns for "sporting purposes".

All citizens who wished to purchase firearms had to register with the Nazi officials and have a background check.

Presumed German citizens were hostile and thereby exempted Nazis from the gun control law.

Gave Nazis unrestricted power to decide what kinds of firearms could, or could not be owned by private persons.

The types of ammunition that were legal were subject to control by bureaucrats.

Juveniles under 18 years could not buy firearms and ammunition.

And, most of all, that all of us are tired of seeing children shoot children with guns they never should have had access to?

Yeah , but I'm also tired of seeing FAR more people getting killed by drunk drivers. Should we ban alcohol and cars too?

When theory confronts reality, put your money on reality every time.

I agree with that last statement.

The theory that banning law abiding citizens from having guns in certain American cities would somehow make people safer has been completely proven wrong, The reality is the areas with the strictist gun laws have some of the highest crime rates in America. clap: Tdown:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Howard,

"I have a good sense of humor but you fail miserably in bringing it out. "

I did not know I was responsible for it H. You can say anything about me that you want I do not take offese or take it peresonally because I do not know you. A lot is lost in this format and for people to get bent about it one way or another is really silly. I say things the way I say them to Divioder for example just to imagine him slamming the keys on his keyboard with a retort. Why because he has shown some weakness to anger to a certain type of post. I imagine we would get along just fine on a river some where as I get along with every one I meet. If not who cares there are 6 billion people in the world.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
"And that gun registration isn't totalitarianism any more than a driver's license is?"

Driving and a drivers license is not a right. It is a privledge. The Constitution and Bill or Rights doesn't address drivers licenses nor does it guarantee the right to drive.

I would agree that the backround checks that are in place now help to make us safer. That was why they were enacted 11yrs or so ago. It's called NICS and is administered by the FBI?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
"I would agree that the backround checks that are in place now help to make us safer."

A majority of violent gun crimes are commited by people that obtain guns legally. Typically a crime of passion, Billy Joe pops Bobby Magee because he was shagging his wife.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TK
Theking said:
"I would agree that the backround checks that are in place now help to make us safer."

A majority of violent gun crimes are commited by people that obtain guns legally. Typically a crime of passion, Billy Joe pops Bobby Magee because he was shagging his wife.
I am very interested in that statistic. Do you have a citation for it?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Eddie,

its in the book More guns less crime. Which is considered to be the best book on the issue because of the statisics used. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... thshomepag

Here is another head scratcher.

Bubba gets drunk and shoots at a random person and wounds them. He does on acg. 5 years hard time and loses his right to own a firearm because the use of a gun amde it a felony.

Bubba gets drunk and plows his car into a random person and kills them. He does on avg. a year of hard time and loses his drivers licsense for a year but never loses the right to buy a car.

Thats how irrational people see things in this country.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts