Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
Did a stupid thing this weekend and ran up on sand bar (slowly ~6mpg) by accident and when I reversed off of it, I got a lot of sand going up through the jet. For the next few minutes, I couldn't get to up to plane even with the RPM's cranked so I moved back and forth for a while and finally got going normally. I ran full out for a while and went on and off of plane so everything seems to be ok. My question is, did I seriously screw this pump up and should I go get it looked at or did I just have some blockage due to the sand and once it was free of sand, I am fine. Thoughts (besides don't run up on a sandbar dumbass clap: )??

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Inboard or outboard?

Either way, sand is more detrimental to the motor's cooling system than it is to the pump itself. It can work it's way into the thermostat, causing it to not open or close all the way and this will prevent your motor from running at the proper temperature.

You probably had some other type of debris stuck in your intake grate... like wood or rocks that prevented you from getting on plane. Once that stuff cleared, you were able to plane again.

Sand can score the liner a little bit and blunt the impeller blade slightly... but usually not enough to affect performance.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
If it is an inboard, check with the manufacturer's service center to see if the cooling tube is self sealing. Meaning, can you remove the ends and hose out any sand without causing harm and then re-install the ends without it leaking. Many Marine Power motors have this feature.
This is definitely something I would make sure is clear and clean before the next outing.
I would also want to make sure the exhaust manifolds are clear.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
mite wanta think about putting a sand trap in-line. ..not sure what your running,but it would help.most of the in/bd jetters that i know have had them installed.pretty cheep vrs a new pump or impella

1 - 5 of 5 Posts