Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry no pics - but fishing has been excellent since it opened yesterdy. Yesterday (Friday) we had seven chances - putting three fish in the box ... at 7, 9 and 11 pounds.

Today offered nine chances - releasing one smaller, legal sized fin clipped fish - two unclipped (estimated at 8 and 10 pounds) - and a solid 13 pounder found the fish box. Have had similar sucessful reports from other local anglers. We only fished until about one o'clock both days.

Best action has been in Guemes Channel, Thatcher Pass, Lopez Pass, Lopez Flats, Decatur Island and Fidalgo Head. Use your favorite 3" Kingfisher, 31/2" Coyote behind a full size flasher - or plug-cut herring. Don't be afraid to run a mid-water rod as we have gotten into some suspended fish.

Remember ... MA7 is a two fin-clipped limit through the end of this month.

I smell Derby!

Jay

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you want to share.....

By the end of march (for the derby), are they returning fish in mid column water, or I'm I going to be looking to scrape my downrigger balls along the bottom

I litterally have never fished this area, EVER. $50.00 and a limited number of tickets made it worth my while to drive up and give it a shot.

I would love to try to get up an maybe do a test run, but I think its a 2 hour drive up there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tictactug,

By the end of March ... we should see a few less fish, but better quality fish. By that time, the Blackmouth have put on a little more weight - and early Frasier River fish are transiting the area. Rosario Strait and Presidents Channel (West side of Orcas Island) are fish highways.

Not to be a smart a$$ ... but the fish are where you find them. I would rather not troll in 200 to 300 feet of water with 90 feet of downrigger cable deployed, if I can find fish somewhere else. My style, year round, is to try to find feeding Chinook that are pinned to the bottom. I like fishing structure. I typically fish in 150 feet of water, or less - employing that strategy. Of course, there are places we do fish in deeper water - where fish are traveling - and mid-water is the game.

I'm speaking at North River boats (Marysville) on March 22nd. I'll be talking about the where to fish in the San Juans - as well as offering up current fishing reports. I'll also be speaking at Derby Kick-Off Friday Night, along with Capt. John Keizer of FishFrontiers.com

I'm sorry I can't be more specific. There's a lot of water up here. But am happy to try to answer any questions (about a particular spot) that you may have.

Jay

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tictactug,

I don't know. So far ... it looks like I'm fifth on the speakers' list. The seminar start at 9:00 AM

I do know that atendee registration is required. That phone number is (866) 790- 2628 I just talked to JD Hanson - and he said he's already had 40 people register for the seminar.

I expect to see Capt. John Keizer (of fishfrontiers.com) at Roche Harbor this weekend. I'll try to get some info - and post next week.

Jay

·
Registered
992 Posts
Well I'm out.

I don't get off work in Bellevue until 5pm that day. I was hoping you were going on late in the day so I could skip out of work early.

Am I missing something with Keizer and Salmon U? I guess I'll have to check out his site. Did he branch off?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tictactug,

PM me if you like ... I can shoot you my cell number if you want to talk about fishing up here. If you are able to show up Friday afternoon before the derby, I'd be happy to spend some time with you then. Anyone that know me - knows I'm pretty free with information (just don't ask me my Ling holes). I do enjoy success stories. I want you to have a safe and memorable experience around the derby. Coming here is an investment of time and money - and for that - you (and everyone else) deserve any help I can offer (for what it's worth).

I don't know about Keizer's situation, other than he's not with Salmon U anymore. I'm not into that gossipy thing that probably surrounds his move (not assuming you are either). John is a good guy with a wealth of experience - and a good teacher. That guy flat out catches fish. I wish him the best of luck in his new endevour.

Jay

·
Registered
992 Posts
I shot you a pm. Let me know if you didn't get it.

About the John thing. I didn't really care, I'd just never heard of that site. The I went to SU and noticed any mention of him has been wiped off.

I'll agree John is great. I never did the SU thing, but I've listened to a couple of his seminars and have always learned something.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We had a great opener on Friday. 12 fish to the boat for 4 keeper limit. 10 -18 lb fish. Sat and Sun slower only 1 keeper per day, with 4 and 5 wild fish each day. Seems as the ratio is 75% wild fish. We fished off Orcas.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
What are the typical ocean conditions in this area? I have a small (16' Arima) and want to start fishing this area but I'm a little nervous after reading reports from last year. Was that just a crazy day or is that normal for this area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Fishing in the islands you can amost always find a protected spot, the problem is gettin too and fro. The weather up here can turn failey fast..I run all over up here in a 17 ft weldcraft. Just be smart about it and pick your days. More than likely not anytime in the next week as I think everyday the wind is 20 plus sick:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts