Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I would like to try fishing the San Juan Islands, but have never been out there... A couple questions:

1) If I live in the Everett area, where would I want to launch from?

2) How far away from the launch is the trip?

3) Provided that the marine report is less than 2', is this a safe trip for a 20' Intruder?

4) Where would you recommend that my boys and I try first?

Regards,

·
Registered
126 Posts
Idlechater,

1) If you prefer a ramp ... I suggest you launch at Washington Park in Anacortes. Watch the tides - anything above a
a zero foot tide should be OK to launch or recover. I would avoid Cornet Bay if you have no experience up here. I don't mean to scare anyone, but a big ebb in Deception Pass coupled with a moderate Westerly can produce some unpleasant conditions for small craft. If you prefer a sling ... then use the lift at the Cap Sante Boat haven.

2) From Washing ton Park, it is about four KM's across Rosario Straight. You'll find plenty of fishing opportunities on the other side. You can always fish at Fildalgo Head, which is just a couple of minutes South from the ramp - or you can run around the corner (North and East) and fish in Guemes Channel. The East end of the Channel is about three miles from the ramp, or a few minutes run from Cap Sante.

3) It's a bit subjective ... but would consider your boat safe for the conditions you describe. I recommend a GPS/chartplotter, VHF radio, compass, and paper charts of the area (always). I would think that anything over 2' would make for an unpleasant ride in your boat.

4) Fishing has been good to great since the opener. We've had several periods where the fish have not been on the bite. For instance: it was red hot on Saturday, and much tougher on Sunday. If you choose to cross Rosario ... try fishing Lopez Flats (South of James Is. and East of Decatur and Lopez Is.), Thatcher Pass and the East side of Blakely Island. Bait has been a little scarce at times - but the fish are around. Look for the other boats to get an idea of where and how to fish those areas.

Good Luck to you and your boys.

Jay

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dash:

I sincerely appreciate your excellent response. I will keep my eyes on the marine report and if things look good for this weekend, perhaps head out and explore the area a bit and see if we can't get a take down.

Thanks...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Child,

Yes it does. They were newly installed late last spring - after being damaged the previous winter . There is truck/trailer parking for approx. fifty rigs. I think parking is $7.00 a day. For more info see the City of Anacortes website.

Jay

·
Registered
330 Posts
Idlechater - Here is a good chance for you to learn about blackmouth fishing in the san juans along with mooching and downrigger tricks. There will be an all star crew of speakers at North River Marine on March 22nd. I plan on going there to see what they have to say and see what a few fellow gamefishers have been doing over the winter.

Take care and tight lines!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cornfed:

Thank you for the seminar information... I have sent an email to Tom at NR and asked that I be registered... If you will be attending I hope to meet you...

Regards,

·
Registered
330 Posts
Just give a holler to the guy in NEBRASKA gear or shirt that says "TOMMY GUNS" on the back...that would be me. 6'1" 290 lb white guy. As you probably already have guessed, the name's Tommy... :mrgreen: Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Great info, but one thing is that the sling at Cap Sante is not always open early. If you are headed there at O Dark Thirty, beware. I have always liked Cornet Bay, but I am used to Westport and nasty ocean conditions. If you are unconfortable with it I would look at the tides for Washington Park and make sure its a big enough tide to launch AND get out of the water. Rosario can really kick up too. The San Juans are a kick in the butt. Remember its a vast area so make sure you have plenty of fuel. I have put a hundred miles on the boat in a day up there linging and shrimping. It depends on how far you want to go.
Good Luck
Fishnut

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fished the Islands the last couple of days. I had to work hard to find bait and fish. Best action was salmon bank with 5 fish caught and 5 lost. Brought home a 10 lbr and 12 lbr. Green echip flasher with army truck squid dragged on the bottom at 100-110 feet. Released two halibut that were over 30 lbs and battled another for about 45 minutes before I gave up and cut the line so I could get back to salmon fishing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
eveningbite said:
Fished the Islands the last couple of days. I had to work hard to find bait and fish. Best action was salmon bank with 5 fish caught and 5 lost. Brought home a 10 lbr and 12 lbr. Green echip flasher with army truck squid dragged on the bottom at 100-110 feet. Released two halibut that were over 30 lbs and battled another for about 45 minutes before I gave up and cut the line so I could get back to salmon fishing.
NICE!!

what no pics?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts