Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the Salmon river on Saturday, and my buddy and I hooked 11 steelies. All the fish are pretty dark, but did manage to hook a few chromers. We were on the reservation, hence being aloud to remove fish from the water. The fat boot I landed I would estimate well over twenty pounds. Would like to hear for fellow G' fers on what your thoughts are on as far as weight. All fish were released unharmed, well except beyond there mouths being sore :eek:

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Looks like the water is low and clear. 11 fish day, not bad!

I hope the wild steelhead nazis from PP don't decide to trash this site and thread again. :shock:

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Sieg Heil! :eek:

Just kiddin' ! :mrgreen:

jr - Do you REALLY want an honest estimate of that fish's weight... and would you be offended if I told you I though it was right around 15 or 16 lbs?

For a steelhead to hit the magic 20 pound mark it has to be at least 38 inches long and about 20 inches around. I don't think that fish quite get's there. I'd say 35" X 18" or so. Gnarly lookin' bucks like that always seem to look bigger in person than they really are.

It's still a bruiser no matter what though. Tup:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Gnarly fish man,That thing is a pig!!! Looks it it probably put up one heck of a fight. And 11 steelies in 1 day, i'm jealous. Nice Work!!!!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
now that's a great day fishing Tup: , I would say 14#

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
As far as the middle picture goes, unless the angler is a smaller guy I'd say that piggy is 19 or 20 lbs. Tup: clap: Look at the tail. :eek:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
being that you can't get your hand around the tail I would say 20 at least, I have got a couple in the 20 lbs range and I could not get my hands around the tail and I have big hands. Nice fish no less

·
Banned
109 Posts
It probley doesnt look like 20 because the modern day fisherman is so used to seeing fish pics long armed, though I have caught many fish that werent 20 yet I couldn't get my hand around the tail. Still a nice fish though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Birch Barlow said:
As far as the middle picture goes, unless the angler is a smaller guy I'd say that piggy is 19 or 20 lbs. Tup: clap: Look at the tail. :eek:
s
I guess I should have mentioned I'm 6'5" 260LBS I'm at least 30 inches in the shoulders. My height shouldn't matter because I am kneeling in the river. I will bet every Loomis rod I own, that fish was definitely bigger than 16 pounds. C'mon guys this ain't my first rodeo. My guide was trying to tell me it was bigger, but honestly 19 to 20. Next time I will have a tape.......

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Well in that case...

I just figured you for average size since there's no way to tell otherwise. Plus... we all know how difficult it is to guess an accurate weight from a pic.

Just out of curiosity... how much do you think these fish weighed? The first guy on the right is 6' 3" and we got good tape measurements on both fish.

The second pic sucks because it's from an older cell phone.

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Webo said:
Well in that case...

I just figured you for average size since there's no way to tell otherwise. Plus... we all know how difficult it is to guess an accurate weight from a pic.

Just out of curiosity... how much do you think these fish weighed? The first guy on the right is 6' 3" and we got good tape measurements on both fish.

Your right Webo, it is very difficult to tell size from a picture. The first fish I would say would 15 to 16. The second fish looks a lot bigger, I would say 20 on that fish.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Very good guesses jr!

The first one was 16 and change and the second one was 21.44.

With you bein' 6' 5" I could see your fish hittin' 20. Good job. Tup:

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
pretty nice for a buck steelhead "boot".

I viewed a lot uglier boots from salmon posts...particularly chumlies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Where you up above the hatchery thats what it looks like to me theres a couple of killer holes below and above I just love that river If I could live over by the that river I would ..:eek:) great pics thanks for sharing cant wait for winter...

·
Banned
733 Posts
Dr Hook said:
Looks like the water is low and clear. 11 fish day, not bad!

I hope the wild steelhead nazis from PP don't decide to trash this site and thread again. :shock:
Is that anything new?? ha ha.
Great fish man!!! I would say around 18 but its just an estimate from a pic. Good fish no matter what I say though wink:
Omar

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Great fish! tough to make a weight guess,but it looks heavy in your hands based on how it is sagging in the middle.

·
Banned
132 Posts
Webo said:
Well in that case...

Hey, I remember the big one and it was an awesome fish.

The only way you will ever know the size is to tape the fish like Webo did. It doesn't matter how many fish you have seen in the past, you have to tape it to get a real good weight. I have seen quite a few 20lb fish and a lot more that looked to break the 20lb mark until they were taped. With that being said, Webo's big fish above you could tell right away without hesitation that it would be over 20. I always have a tape near me in my waders and a back up in the boat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts