Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We arrived Wed afternoon and left Friday morning.

Good news:
* weather was great.
* 45 and sunny in the day, 20 and clear at night.
* Saw the eclipse and showed my son how to spot satellites and shooting stars
* Limited Wed afternoon after setting up camp
* Limited Thurs after trying new spot away from the crowds
* Limited Friday morning just before heading home
* Passes were dry and clear
* Listen to coyotes, owls at night.
* Saw deer, eagles, beaver
* Many 4 to 5 lbers. One 8+ lb fish. (no scale)

Bad news:
* Crowded by pens - even during midweek. Lots of boats at lower pens.
* Loud the first night for camping - music from the net pen facility ALL night
* Fish not biting well. Artificials not getting hit (jigs, spoons, spinners, etc).
* No 10+ pound fish seen or heard of all 3 days - lots of 1 to 2lb fish.

Had a great time camping\fishing with my 8yr old and a friend from work. Fishing was tough, but we seemed to be doing better than most. Saw many people working all day and not getting any fish. We got limits pretty easily (in comparison) using mostly *********** bait. They were being very subtle biters, so we used just a pinch of *********** bait and made sure the hook point was exposed - this seemed to help compared to others who used a massive glob cover the hook completely and got nibbles but no good hook-ups.

Fishing by the pens wasn't very aesthetically pleasing. We enjoyed ourselves much more when we found a spot away from the pens and had the stretch of water to ourselves. The fish seemed to fight harder and weren't nearly as fat and lethargic.

Enjoy the pics!

(click the pic for full sized image and to get rid of the scrolling bars on the right)

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Fishing may not of been to hot, but it look's like you guy's had a great time... Tup:

·
Banned
733 Posts
Thanks for the report! It must be nice being able to take the kids out to get into some big trout. When my time comes to play this role i know it will be one of the best feelings to see that smile. I do have a nephew that is almost to the age to be out fishing so that will be fun as well.
Omar

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big O said:
Thanks for the report! It must be nice being able to take the kids out to get into some big trout. When my time comes to play this role i know it will be one of the best feelings to see that smile. I do have a nephew that is almost to the age to be out fishing so that will be fun as well.
Omar
Why wait? Right now there is a waiting list of kids waiting for their 'big brother' to sign-up for the program and take them fishing. I did it for 6 years and had a great time with my new fishing buddy. Tup:

BBBS of Snohomish County
1420 Hewitt Avenue
Everett, WA 98201
[email protected]
http://www.bbbs-snoco.com

·
Banned
733 Posts
Thanks for that info. To tell you the truth i have never thought of being part of that program. It would be great to take part in it. I usually fish alone so I always have room for someone else. Thanks again I'll look into that for sure.
Omar

·
Registered
646 Posts
Who would name a beautiful lake like that RUFUS? The name sounds crazy, but the fishing sounds great! Congrats, and thanks for the nice pictures. clap:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
It was a great trip! We had alot of fun and met a lot of great people. My brother (DBappraiser) and I, along with our father really enjoyed meeting Sportjet and Dr. Hook.
We all caught some nice fish and my father caught a reel big fish, about 10 lbs!
Cant wait to go again!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Your son will remember that trip forever. However. He is probably already asking you when can we go back? Cool. Tup:

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Looks like you guys had an awesome time..... those are some great pics .... your sure to remember this trip for a life time!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Got back from Rufus last night on a one day trout derby with 7 of my buddies. the bite was OFF bigtime. did not see many limits taken and no big boys. we ended up with 7 fish with the biggest being 3 lbs. we tried everything in the tackle box, flies, powerbait, mallows, eggs, spinners, jigs and so many different scents that it probably smelled like china town underwater. however, it was all of our first times there and the scenery was awesome, the weather was excellent (fishin in a t shirt a most of the day), the beer was bountiful and all of us had a great time and cant wait to go camp out there when the temps get a little bit warmer. just had our hopes set a little bit too high from reading reports EVERYWHERE about the fishery being so fantastic.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
FinAddict,

Did you try worms? That is all they were taking from me a week ago.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There were a few things we were doing that others were not that seemed to make a difference:

1) *********** bait
2) only a very small pinch - just enough to float the hook.
3) leave the hook exposed - cover the hook eye\knot only so if the bait goes in as the fish mouths the tiny bait, it may catch before it spits it out
4) give the fish a second to chew it - don't strike on the first nibble.
5) hold the rod when you see a nibble. Wait to feel a positive nibble and then set the hook. Often they are only mouthing, spitting out, mouthing again, and you just pull it away if you aren't sure they just started nibbling again.
6) use enough weight for the area you are fishing so it doesn't move around in the current
7) use a sliding weight setup so the fish doesn't feel the weight and you see the soft\subtle nibbles
8) we used leaders from 2 to 4 feet - didn't make a difference that we noticed
9) bite was best from early morning to about 10am, then again from about 3 to 6.
10) all this will probably change in a week as is usually the case when it comes to fishing advice sick:

·
Registered
99 Posts
No. worms were the only thing we didnt have. forgot to buy them at coulee playland. probably due to waking up at 3am to get over there and driving for 4 hours. but there was some interesting baits. people were definately getting creative. the 3 guys next to me had sort of a drop shot rig with two different leads coming off it. one had 3 mallows and a whole prawn tail. the other had 3 mallows and they rotated eggs or half of a crawler. my problem might have been too much bait. i had read many reports of gobs of powerbait and multiple mallows. guess i needed to do a little more finesse type fishing. but like i said it was awesome to just get out there and have the opportunity to fish and get to know that area a little bit. me and my buddies are excited to get out there in the spring and summer with the girlfriends and my wifey. she pretty much likes to only do the bait plunkin type of fishin so its nice to fish with her every now and then. im assuming the fishin is still good in the spring and summer. is it more of a planter 12 incher type fishery then or do they release some of the big fellas in the spring as well??

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Rufus Woods is a great winter fishery but it slows way down in the warmer weather of late spring, summer and early fall. If it were me I would go to Banks Lake from mid spring on. You can stay at Coulee Playland in the north but there is more room and better fishing at the State Park at Steamboat Rock at mid-lake or at the Coulee City Park at the south end of the lake.

Here is some information I copied and added to from another web site that tells you some more about Banks Lake.

Banks Lake is 24,900 acres making it bigger than Lake Washington. Banks is the best walleye water in the region and is popular with anglers statewide. Kokanee have been planted for several years, but have received only light pressure from anglers. A cooperative rainbow trout rearing project between WDFW, an Electric City sportsmen's group and Coulee City Chamber of Commerce offers improved trout fishing, with fish running over 5 pounds for the rainbows (there are no triploids yet). Largemouth bass fishing should be good and there are abundant smallmouth bass up to 4 pounds available along rocky shoreline areas. Yellow perch and lake whitefish are very abundant. Crappie fishing will be fair too in the north end of the lake. Several public access areas are well developed, including a state park about mid-way up the lake and a city park at Coulee City on the south end. Also, there is some very good burbot (freshwater ling) to be had in Banks Lake at night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts