Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed over to rufus wood's for the weekend ,set up camp at coulee playground then headed out for some afternoon fishing at rufus

Friday was beautiful ,saturday the cold weather moved in.

When we got back to camp after fishing this is what we found

27 degree's outside but when we peeked in the tent it was a warm 63 degree's

so we just hung out by the fire that night and enjoyed the snow..

Came home sunday morning with an ice chest full of fish

Attachments

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Nice picture post, good looking fish Tup:

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Nice report. Nothing like camping in the snow if you are set-up for it and by the looks of the electrical cords in the one photo you were. Now thats roughing it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
i8skeerd said:
Man, fergit Feb. let's go NOW! Tup: those are some nice one's. congrats. thanks for the pics and report, care to elaborate(big word fer a *******) :) on technique and lures and or bait?
We didn't get there until later Friday afternoon. We wanted to get some fish in the cooler so we plunked bait at the upper net pens. 4-5 White mini-mallows and a Nightcrawler or power egg produced a 4 fish limit in 45 minutes. The two big fish for Friday were about 7lbs and a 5lber.

Saturday we didn't want to be done so quickly so we cast Black jigs and spinners. Had a few hookups but nothing spectacular.

We started trolling like you would at the Wind River. We used Hot Shots and Hot Lips. Surprisingly, as the water was only 38 degrees,they wanted a fairly fast troll. I'm not positive,but we trolled about as fast as we would for Coho in the sound. I'm guessing 3.5-4 mph.

We got our biggest fish that way. I got one at 9lbs and another at 7 1/2lbs. My brother got a coulpe,one right at 6 and one at about 5. We also released 3-4 fish at 4lbs or less.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
Those fish are huge!!! I hope you left some for us next month. You guys are wayyyy tougher than me, sleeping in a tent over there.
Yea,we got some funny looks. :D

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Hey we seen you guys! We were talking about how cold it must be in the tent! Looks like you had a good trip! Tup:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Holy smokes! TENTS?????????? You nuts. :lol: It just amazes me what some guys will do to fish :lol: Nice report, MAN I need to get over there one of these days. Tup:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Wow, props for white camping. I would love to do that but the wife is too warm blooded. Nice fish btw! Tup:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fishmanic said:
Did you guys try fishing at camp or anywhere else on Banks lake? Good post on Rufus! Tup: Tup:
No not this trip, on thanksgiving weekend we stayed at the same spot and got a 7.5 lb rainbow rite from the tent there on bank's..that was a good way to finish the day off after a limit of triploids from rufus...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
fishmanic said:
Did you guys try fishing at camp or anywhere else on Banks lake? Good post on Rufus! Tup: Tup:
We got this 7 1/2 lb Rainbow right at the swim area at Coulee Playground right after Thanksgiving. This fish was BEAUTIFUL! Not the typical Rufus Pig. Standing by the fire drinking a beer when this one hit. My friend Chuck is the guy holding the fish. You've never seen an old guy with a single lung get to a rod so quick. He was leaping coolers trying to get to my rod before it went in the lake. Tup:

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Holy smokes! TENTS?????????? You nuts. :lol: Tup:
We got alot of weird look's for sure.....A good air matress, sleeping bag and the tent stayed 63-64 degree's all night and you would sleep just fine too... Tup:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Great work guys!

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Nice trip, fellas. Snow camping is a total BLAST! I've done it so many times even with no heater - good mummy bag rated at -25deg will keep you toasty. The best part of it is you usually have the place to yourself. The worst part of it is the chem toilet bathrooms at some places aren't heated, a man could die of butt cheeck frost bite with a good morning download.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts