Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start seriously rallying for McCain if you are a right winger. Romney dropped out today.

Let's see what the right wing media does. (Coulter, Hannity, Limbaugh) $10 says Coulter starts back peddling on her Vote for Hillary crap.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Not the news I wanted to hear. Romney had my vote.

Hopefully McCain will choose Romney as his running mate. The two of them good do great things (although I was hoping for the inverse relationship.)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Hard to beleive people had so much confidence in Romeny. He could not even take control of the issues from McCain. McCain called the shots and Romney responded from day one. And he is presidential material getting led around by his nose?

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
TK, your perceptions are strange. McCain didn't "own" Romney in my opinion.

Romney's problem is that he assumed most republicans would be smart enough to discern the difference between fact and fiction and between right and wrong.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Now THAT'S rich fs! :D :D

Romney and McCain are as similar to each other ideologically as Obama and Clinton are. There a NO major differences in their records or the way they would conduct business as president. Romney's main advantage is that he doesn't have a long PUBLIC record of bucking the party establishment or cooperating with Democrats... both of which he DID actually do as Governor of Mass though. Romney tried desperately to position himself as the "true conservative"... which most GOP voters know he's NOT. I think he could have actually won the nomination by positioning himself as more of a moderate... which is what he really is. He then could have capitalized on the GOP voters who were supporting McCain and Giuliani and taken votes away from them.

Romney didn't get out because of 'religious persecution'... he got out because he's a businessman, a numbers cruncher. He saw that there would be no real way to make up the delegate difference in the remaining Republican primary/caucus States. He's funding his campaign with his own money and realized that continuing on would just be a waste of that money.

ff is right. His 'suspension' of his candidacy leaves him in a position to try and recoup some of his spending, keep his delegates and use them to bargain for a bigger policy-making voice at the convention, and leave the door open for a strong run in 2012.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Romney and McCain are as similar to each other ideologically as Obama and Clinton are.
I don't eat, drink and sleep ideology, the way some of you do. I think there is a huge gap between the ethics of the two men. Things like taking marriage vows seriously and trying to remain honest in a dishonest process. McCain's moral compass is seriously lacking, as is Huckleberry's.

Not that a liberal would EVER notice such things.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Just my opinion.
I think the person who McCain really needs on his side to be successful is Huckabee. Huckabee has the ear of the super conservative / evangelical voters. McCain knows those voters have a problem with his moderate thinking. If he picks another moderate as a running mate, he's toast.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
IMO Romney had a problem because being a Mormon he could not bring the Evangelicals into the fold. Just look at how this percentage of the party has supported Huckabee, a candidate that is much more moderate then either Romney or McCain. This block of the party is a major reason that Bush was able to win both elections as he got them to work tirelessly in his support and it also showed up in Huckabee's ability to win Iowa as well as his other southern state victories without having to spend near the amounts of money that Romney and McCain have spent.

So what does McCain do to rally the party to him? He doesn't enjoy the same support from Christians as Bush did or Huckabee does. Furthermore, he has pissed off a lot of the true Conservatives in the party with his arrogance and condescending attitute towards that percentage of the party. (I don't think his immigration stance and McCain/Feingold is the real underlying reason that he is disliked as Bush signed Feingold/McCain into law and supported the immigration bill and he is not and has not been tarred with it like McCain has) Finally, I think McCain as well as most everyone else figured Hillary would be the opponent and McCain probably thought that he could win by carrying moderates and independents. However, if Obama is the nominee this strategy is not going to work as Obama will grab a big chunk of these people.

McCain really needs to do a few things and pretty quickly. 1)He needs to deliver a speech laying out his plans for the first 6 months in office and also include in this presentation his willingness to select SCOTUS judges in the molds of Roberts and Alito and this must be drummed home over and over. Second, he needs to address taxation and spending cuts. Third, he needs to continue playing to his strength which is National Security but without sounding like he is looking for a bar room brawl. Finally, he needs to articulate these things in a more uniting fashion and this can be done by projecting himself with much more humility then what he has been so far. Don't tell the party faithful to "calm down" like you are talking to a child, that isn't going to work.

In McCain's case, I think that the selection of his running mate could also help out in these areas. It cannot be Huckabee who is way too soft on domestic issues, is not strong in foreign affairs, and will en-flame the media to use religion as a hammer to help the Democrats. Romney isn't really conservative enough either. I think the selection needs to be someone who has the core beliefs and convictions to help bring the core conservatives and McCain to a middle ground and understanding that will go a long way to mending this rift that threatens to lead to a debacle in November where the legislative and executive branch of government is led by very liberal idealists. Sen. McCain you better get moving, the clock is ticking.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
I don't eat, drink and sleep ideology, the way some of you do.
Who said you did fs?

And what the hell does being liberal or not have anything to do with it? clown:

Face it... not everybody judges a candidate the way you or I might.

Records, policy positions, fund raising and the ability to reach voters is how candidates get elected. McCain and Romney are similar in all of those regards.
Do you REALLY think Joe Schmo cares if McCain has been married once before? If so... then how do you explain Giuliani's initial popularity? conf:

You're just sore 'cause your candidate has decided to withdraw. :?

DB - You just spelled out how McCain can win with Conservative voters... very nicely I might add.

BUT... these things ARE NOT gonna win him the general... neither is the GOP's fear and loathing of Hillary Clinton.

America is sick and tired of 'conservative core values' ruining this country and is rejecting them outright. That's why moderate candidates are receiving such a large percentage of the vote.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
America is sick and tired of 'conservative core values' ruining this country and is rejecting them outright. That's why moderate candidates are receiving such a large percentage of the vote.
I'm not ready to buy into that theory and I do not think they are rejecting them outright (Paul Krugman might feel differently). The Dems were successful in the last election by hammering the "change" theme (not much change has occurred but that is for another time) and in a way they were right. The Republicans were in control but they were not adheering to the "core values" of Conservatism. Spending was way up, earmarking was and is out of control, too many ethics issues, etc. So, what is needed whether it is done to win this upcoming election or looking toward 2012 is that these issues need to be addressed and corrected.

On a side note, I am getting a little tired of all the Ronald Reagan comparisons in this election. Reagan was a great president and he was truly gifted at bringing people together either by persuasion or force but there is no one on either side with that kind of skill. It is like comparing every up and coming basketball player to Michael Jordan. There is/was only 1 Michael Jordan and there never will be another. So let it go.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
"Romney's problem is that he assumed most republicans would be smart enough to discern the difference between fact and fiction and between right and wrong."

And you called Bush a liar every chance you could?

"I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose." â€" Mitt Romney, Massachussets Governor election debate, October 29, 2002

"Every action I have taken as governor of Massachussets has been pro-life." â€" Mitt Romney, Republican Debate, August 5, 2007

A review of the record shows that Romney has shifted his position on abortion numerous times since 1994 when he first ran for federal office as senator for Massachusetts. His August 5, 2007 claim that "every action I have taken as governor of Massachusetts" appears to be undermined by his October 15, 2005 decision to sign a bill seeking a federal waiver to expand family planning services in the state.

The Facts

1994 February 2: Romney announces he is seeking Republican nomination for Massachusetts senator. Says he is "not in favor of government funding of abortion." Describes himself as "personally opposed" to abortion, but promises not to make any move that would undermine Roe versus Wade. [Boston Globe, February 3, 1994.].

May 19: Four days after winning Republican nomination to run against Ted Kennedy for Massachusetts senator, Romney "came down more firmly in the abortion rights camp," according to Boston Herald report. In interview, Romney voices support for "morning after" pill and a federal bill protecting visitors to health clinics from anti-abortion violence.

June 12: Mitt Romney attends a Planned Parenthood fund-raiser. His wife Ann makes a $150 contribution to the pro-Choice group, which offers abortion services, from a joint account with her husband. [Boston Globe, May 10, 2007.]

September 8: Romney says he would leave issue of Medicaid funding for abortion to the states. Accepts endorsement from Massachusetts Citizens for Life, an antiabortion group, according to Romney campaign official Charles Manning. [Boston Globe, September 8, 9, 10, 1994.]

October 25: In Senate election debate in Massachusetts, Ted Kennedy accuses Romney of being "multiple choice" on abortion. See video here. Romney denies the charge, saying that he has supported abortion rights consistently since 1970 when his mother Lenore ran as a pro abortion rights candidate for the U.S. Senate candidate in Michigan. He linked his support for abortion rights to the death "many years ago" of a "dear, close family relative" following a botched illegal abortion. "You will not see me wavering on that," he adds. Some Michigan politicians later questioned Romney's description of his mother's political platform in 1970.

2001 Early July: While serving as president of organizing committee for 2002 Winter Olympics, Romney tells Salt Lake Tribune he is thinking about returning to politics in either Utah or Massachusetts. Says he does not wish to be "labeled pro-choice." A close friend, Utah developer Kem Gardner, attributes Romney's 1994 position in support of abortion rights to the fact that he was "running against Ted Kennedy in a state that was 80 per cent pro-choice and to have any chance at all, he was waffling." [Salt Lake Tribune, July 4, 2001]

2002 April 9: Romney says he supports substance of Supreme Court decision in Roe versus Wade and funding of abortion services through Medicaid in answers to questionnaire submitted by Planned Parenthood.

June 13: At bioethics forum, Romney says he "in favor of stem cell research," and will "work and fight for stem cell research." [Boston Globe, June 14, 2002]

October 29: Romney says his position on abortion has been "the same throughout my political career." Says he will "preserve and protect" abortion rights in Massachusetts. [Boston Globe, October 30, 2002]

Denies accepting endorsement from Massachusetts Citizens for Life in 1994.

Declines to complete Citizens for Life questionnaire. [Boston Globe, July 3, 2005.]

September 26: Romney tells abortion rights activists that "you need someone like me in Washington," according to notes taken by a member of the National Abortion Rights Action League, or NARAL. NARAL officials interpreted this as a reference to his national political ambitions. Notes taken by NARAL officer Nicole Roos. [Interview with Kelly O'Bryan, NARAL Pro-Choice Massachusetts Political director, September 4, 2007.]

2004 November 9: As speculation mounts that Romney is considering running for president in 2008, the governor meets Harvard University stem cell researcher Douglas Melton. By Romney's later account, the meeting was a watershed moment in persuading him to adopt a public, antiabortion position. He says he was shocked to hear from Melton that "we kill the embryos after 14 days." Melton said that Romney "mischaracterized" his position. "We didn't discuss killing or anything related to it."[Boston Globe, December 17, 2006]

2005 March 8: Supports taxpayer subsidies for stem cell research, provided that certain ethical conditions are met.

May 27: Says he is committed to maintaining the "status quo" in Massachusetts on abortion rights.

July 25: Vetoes bill to ensure emergency contraception for rape victims, known as the morning after pill. Argues that the hormone drugs "would also terminate life after conception." In op-ed article for Boston Globe, states that he is "pro-life." Abortion rights activists accuse Romney of breaking written assurances made during the 2002 campaign. [Massachusetts Telegram and Gazette, August 9, 2005] Romney had answered "yes" in questionnaire from Planned Parenthood in 2002 on whether he would support "efforts to increase access to emergency contraception."

October 15: Boston Globe reports that Romney has signed a bill seeking federal waiver to expand number of low-income people eligible for family planning services, including morning-after pill, over protests of anti abortion rights activists. "The guy's not coming around," said Joseph M. Scheidler, the national director of the Pro-Life Action League. The action appears to contradict Romney's June 18, 2007 claim that "I came down on the side of life" in every decision he made as governor of Massachusetts.

December 8: Romney reverses an earlier decision on the advise of his counsel and orders all hospitals in the state to make the "morning after" pill available to rape victims, over the protests of Catholic hospitals, who argue that this goes against their religious beliefs. A Boston Herald editorial says that Romney has "executed an Olympic-caliber double flip-flop with a gold medal-performance twist-and-a-half on the issue of emergency contraception."

2006 December: Romney contributes $15,000 to Massachusetts Citizens for Life, after denying in 2002 campaign that he had accepted the group's endorsement.[New York Times, March 11, 2007]

2007 February 13: Announces he is running for president.

May 10: Romney receives Political Leadership award from Massachusetts Citizens for Life at a Mothers' Day dinner. Describes himself as a "convert" to the antiabortion cause, in the tradition of Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. [Boston Globe, May 11, 2007.]

June 15: Addresses National Right to Life convention. Says that even though he was "always personally opposed to abortion," he decided to support "the law as it was in place" as governor of Massachusetts. "I was wrong."

August 5: "Virtually nothing in that ad is true," says Romney, referring to a robocall to Iowa voters by rival Republican candidate Sam Brownback Brownback had ridiculed Romney's claim to be "firmly pro-life," saying that "nothing could be further from the truth." As supporting evidence, he claimed that Romney (1) "pledged to support and uphold pro-abortion policies and passed taxpayer funding of abortions in Massachusetts" as late as 2005; (2) his wife Ann contributed money to Planned parenthood; and (3) Romney told the National Abortion Rights Action League that "you need someone like me in Washington."

August 21: Tells Nevada television station that states should make their own decisions on abortion rights. See video here. Statement appears to contradict an August 6 statement to George Stephanopoulos of ABC News in which he said he supported a human life amendment to the constitution assuring federal protection to unborn children.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
It is interesting ho this has boiled down to McCain versus Huckabee.

McCain always took the independents, moderates and security conservatives while Huckabee and Romney split the other conservatives... Huckabee taking the evangelicals and Romney taking the fiscal conservatives. The Christians (other than the evangelicals) are split between the parties, some for Obama and Hillary and others for Huckabee, Romney and McCain.

At this point I think it would alienate a considerable portion of McCains core of independents and moderates to pick Huckabee for VP after the convention (or if and when Huckabee faces his loss and drops). A Romney running mate might help with McCains need for a more conservative image but I have doubts we will see that match-up.

I also doubt that McCain will go further left and try to coerce Liberman into joining the race.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
That is one other reason that conservative candidates from the NE typically do not do well in Presidential elections. They spend most of their time surrounded by liberal democrats and if you hope to get anything accomplished you have to "cross the road" a time or two, or three. Later in life the candidate is beaten over the head with it.

BTW, it is okay to change your mind on an issue, just don't be so "John Kerry " with it.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts