Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was thinking of getting a new 8'6" casting rod to use in the rivers of this great state. been looking at St.croix(sp?) loomis, lamiglas, and fenwicks. just wondering what you guys use?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have about 10 rods that I use. they are a mix of Sage,Rainshadow and G-Loomis. but if I was to get just one It would be a Loomis Gl3 1143c A great rod Tup:

·
Registered
705 Posts
i only have four rods for river fishing, nothing special, they have call caught me a lot of fish.

lami kenai special medium 86
lami mbc heavy 86
shimano clarus medium 86
shimano schimitar medium 86

all of these rods cost under me under $100 and i've used them for steelhead to pinks, chums, and kings. no failures.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
yellowfintuna83 said:
so i was thinking of getting a new 8'6" casting rod to use in the rivers of this great state. been looking at St.croix(sp?) loomis, lamiglas, and fenwicks. just wondering what you guys use?
what is it you want to fish for ?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have Loomis and Lamiglas rods. My next rod purchase would either be a Loomis or St Croix. 8'6'' is a small rod for multi purpose in my opinion a 9' or 9'6'' is more multi purpose. I think that with the St Croix avid series you get more rod for your money than Loomis. With the new return policy it really has evened the playing field. This really is the Ford or Chevy debate.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Loctite said:
I have about 10 rods that I use. they are a mix of Sage,Rainshadow and G-Loomis. but if I was to get just one It would be a Loomis Gl3 1143c A great rod Tup:
I agree clap: Very versatile rod! Steelhead machine and enough backbone to turn almost any fish!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
If I had to choose just one rod it would be a Lamiglas CP 10' Herzog 8-17. It's long enough to use as a float rod but sensitive enough to use for drift fishing. Another good choice would be a St Croix MH 9'6" 8-17. I like the 8-17 weight, it seems to be a good all around weight, heavy enough for kings but also light and sensitive. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I'm a St. Croix fan. Soooooooooooo. :D In the mix of new rod models that ST. Croix came out with this year is this little gem. I've seen these things in action. They are light and very sensitive making them great for Steelhead yet they have plenty of back bone to take on some monster kings. Although not my number one choice for a float rod the aren't to bad in a pinch.. Just a good all around rod.

http://www.stcroixrods.com

AVC96MHF2
Legnth- 9'6"
Weighing in at 6.5 ounces
Rated Medium Heavy
Line- 8-17
3/8- 1 OZ

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
I'm a St. Croix fan. Soooooooooooo. :D In the mix of new rod models that ST. Croix came out with this year is this little gem. I've seen these things in action. They are light and very sensitive making them great for Steelhead yet they have plenty of back bone to take on some monster kings. Although not my number one choice for a float rod the aren't to bad in a pinch.. Just a good all around rod.

AVC96MHF2
Legnth- 9'6"
Rated Medium Heavy
Line- 8-17
3/8- 1 OZ
I have seen that rod it is very nice. Compared to loomis it is a great buy in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well, since your looking for an 8'6" rod I would suggest a Loomis 1025c, either GL3 or IMX, 1 of the most versatile rods I've ever used, caught kings over 30lbs. on it and tons of steelhead and silvers.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:

AVC96MHF2
Legnth- 9'6"
Rated Medium Heavy
Line- 8-17
3/8- 1 OZ
What he said! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
398 Posts
i am a spinning rod junkie got a new sage with stella combo. 4 to 10 with a 2500. i like my 10 year old GLX stradic 2000 way better. not worth the money. st. croix are nice fair priced rods.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Yet another vote for this rod!! Tup:
Dr Hook said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:

AVC96MHF2
Legnth- 9'6"
Rated Medium Heavy
Line- 8-17
3/8- 1 OZ

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Fish Guy Keith said:
Yet another vote for this rod!! Tup:
Dr Hook said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:

AVC96MHF2
Legnth- 9'6"
Rated Medium Heavy
Line- 8-17
3/8- 1 OZ
Another vote for St. Croix. The Avid's are AWESOME!!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
I bought a St Croix Avid 9 ft medium fast 8-12 at the sportsman show. I like it even though I have only used it once. Maybe I can go tomorrow before work.

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
I also think that a 9'6", medium to medium heavy rod is the way to go, if you want to use one rod for many things. With a rod like that you can drift fish, toss spoons, and float fish on all but the largest streams.

That Avid that is being recommended is a sweet looking rod, and hopefully I'll be trying one out soon...another excellent all around rod is the Lamiglass Cetified Pro X96JC...9'6", 6-15 pound rated (though I think it fishes more like an 8-17 than a 6-15)...shop around and you can find either the X96JC or the Avid for about $200.

Fish on...

Todd

1 - 20 of 20 Posts