Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats a good river to hit up in august for kings? my co-worker tells me the skokomish river should be hot.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Jo3k3r said:
Whats a good river to hit up in august for kings? my co-worker tells me the skokomish river should be hot.
There's lots of chinook that go up that river for sure but it's combat fishing at it's finest. There's places you can find with no one fishing them though. It's a good river. Take a lot of eggs.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The skok is an excelent river. But combat fishin is an understatement. Not to mention dealin with the natives on the other side of the river runnin trebbles with pencil lead wrapped around the bottom, and snaggin every fish in a hole...... But there are some beautiful fish in there. goin home with a 20 lb king is average..... my largest was 27, and i lost fish that were larger! However there were days i got so fed up with the people id just leave, not to mention indian kids down there trying to piss you off, and you cant say ish to em....... a weekday at low tide would be good, Walk and look for fish in small holes is the best way to avoid the crowds and the indians.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
skoks good if you wanna put up with people but also the skykomish, is good to, or you can wait a little until oct. and the lewis will be at its finest!

·
Registered
705 Posts
i plan on hitting the skok when the times come. from my experiences fishing the skok i havent had any bad encounters with anyone, all the guys fishing in my area were really nice and helpful. i always hear stories of snaggers, but its a long river and im just fishing a small part of it.

i've seen my friends picture of some kings he got out of the skok and boy were they nice and fat. cant wait until he shows me his spot!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
The great thing about the Skok is it opens Aug 1st vs all the other rivers close to me opening Sept 1st. 40 mins and i can be on the river in the warm time of the summer. Tup:

Not to mention i love standing on the bridge overlooking the river cuz it's so clear and you can scout where the fish are.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Skoks a decent river, realistically I'd say the average fish that comes out of there is 12-15, some big fish come out but nothing that'll break any records. Good eggs is the ticket, especially if you've got unmolested fish. There might not be the percieved "snagger" but there are lots of guys who will rip every cast using a 8'+ leader. Last year there were a ton of jacks. Try not to wade too deep in the river, I had guys last year wade into water I had hooked fish in the 30 minutes prior to them showing up. Once they waded into the hole, the fish went off the bite and into survival mode (hide behind the log jam/pillar/anything they could). This river does get lots of pressure due to the access, run timing and because guys can see the fish.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Yup, that's the bad part. The combat fishing there is bad because most of the guys wade up to their waist, which in most cases is over half way across the river. I would have to say, don't wade! If you go there on a week day and you're in scarce company, start shallow and cast to the other side. Gives you a longer drift anyways and the fish are hard pressed to see you. It can be a very peaceful river if you're one of 3 fishing it that day. Tup:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Oh and btw, if those guys are wading that far out, fish up from them with light leader, heavy sinkers and a small glob of eggs. 2 guys i know who kill fish there do that because the fish get scared out of their hole and swim behind the fishermen. Especially if the water gets a small amount of color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts