ribs | Gamefishin.com

ribs

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by Adam, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam

Adam Member

With this nice weather we've been having, I gave the bbq a good cleaning and bought some pork babybacks from costco. I used pork rub from mccormick with a little johnnys and it turned out alright. Any good rubs out there either store bought or homemade? Just got a rack from cashncarry, we'll see how good their meat is compared to costco.

2. HOBO98498

HOBO98498 Well-Known Member

Your in the right forum. Go to the recipe book and select pork 1232 in the search option. There are a lot of rubs to try there.

3. Duroboat

Duroboat Moderator Staff Member

4. Hairlipangler

Hairlipangler Active Member

Most rubs are a combination of just a few basic ingredients. Onion, garlic, paprika, salt, pepper. There are specialty ingredients like cayenne for heat, chili powder, maybe some other savory spices like coriander, celery salt, BBQ spice, sage, rosemary, any number of personal preferences to make it right for your individual taste. Don't be afraid to experiment and make your own. A rub is only one way to flavor pork. Cooking styles, temps, times, additives like beer, basting liquids, different wood flavors also impart flavors to different degrees of prominence. Rubs are pretty forgiving when evaluating the final product other than heat (spicy heat). Too much heat is too much heat and you cant take it away. But, a rub, a good smoke, and proper times and temps work in concert. So if you have an average rub and hit the rest your ribs will still kick ass!

The best compliment you'll ever get is when your ribs don't even need sauce.

5. northriver

northriver Member

OH man, I'm hungry.

I like beef ribs, beef beef beef. The best over the counter rub is Mc cormicks steak rub. Smother them ribs in it.

I turn my BBQ down to one burner only and it is all the way on low. You can not rush good ribs. 2-3 hours later the meat is falling of the bone! then smothered in sweet baby ray's........................ I know you hard core "from scratch" guys will laugh at me but, like SI Robertson would say "HEY"

6. powder

powder Active Member

I bought a mesquite rub from costco a couple years back. I mix that with some bbq sauce and marinate overnight. Then i smoke them for 7-8 hours on 200 degrees. I did 6 racks last year for my wifes birthday. I think they lasted for 10 minutes. I've had some from longhorns and a couple other places where the bones hold on to some of the meat and the fat tastes like, well... fat. With mine, the fat melts into the meat and there's no fighting to get everything off the bone. It just falls off in your mouth. In my opinion the difference is in removing the membrane. I swear by it, but some say it doesn't matter. I also like a little wine and garlic in the water pan. Couldn't tell you if i've really noticed a difference, but hey, it sounds fancy. haha

7. HOBO98498

What kind of smoker do you have?

8. powder

powder Active Member

It's a Bradley fridge style electric 4 rack. I also have a Weber charcoal. I prefer the charcoal for the ribs, but the ease of use on the Bradley is just too irresistible.

9. bing

bing Active Member

Bradleys make some mighty tender juicy ribs!!!

10. Adam

Adam Member

Thanks for the tips. I got my large container of trim tabbs in the mail today. Smells like good stuff. Never done beef ribs before so ill rub them up with some mccormicks steak seasoning and try those this weekend.

11. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

12. bing

bing Active Member

i'll have to give this stuff a try... wonder if they stock it at DD Meats?

13. mr.Goodbar

mr.Goodbar Member

Not sure I have found any commercial rubs that I like yet, but haven't tried Trim Tabbs. I am a naked rib kinda guy with a dry rub no brine. Haven't found a sauce I am particularly happy with yet either, but haven't perfected a recipe for home made.

As far as a suggestion? Go to http://www.amazingribs.com - this is a great site that talks not just rubs, or ribs, but technique etc. I have used his recipe for the Memphis magic dust, or Meatheads Rib Rub (can't remember exactly). This is the only rub I have found I like so far. Pretty easy to make, and Yes, I have tried it on popcorn too! pretty yummy.

I rub way more on than is called for, wrap it in saran wrap and let sit overnight. Smoke em with mesquite/apple mix.

maybe you could post pics of the finished product next time you cook some.

14. FastAction

FastAction Member

Best rub for ribs I have found is Mcormics Memphis dry rub 89cents a pack at Winco.

I do a LOT of spareribs. I buy them from Cash N carry and it takes 5 hours to smoke them right

Pull the Membrane off the back of the rib
    Rub Beaver Brand Sweet hot Mustard to both sides of the ribs (binder for the rub)
    apply Rub front and back
    Smoke 3 hours @ 225 on the Traeger
    Wrap in Foil Tight back on trager @ 225 for 1.5hours
    Un wrap Smother in Sauce back on traeger @ 225 Bone side down for 30 Minutes

Fall off the Bone!

15. HOBO98498

I am doing this one this evening on the new Traeger. I am in the last stages before the sauce and boy do they look good, Heres a couple of pics Beer & Ribs.jpg Traeger Ribs.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.