Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have all the seats out and have removed the carpet (which was soaked) and scraped up all the glue left over with a paint scraper, was wondering what some of your thoughts or experiences are with a replacement. I was thinking of maybe going with a spray on bed liner, or maybe the stuff that you see on the commercial that goes on a garage floor. Thought of putting linoleum (sp?) down in which i would think costs a little more, thats why i was looking for some other alternatives. Has any of you you tried something like this, ie; something roll on or spray on? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I just had a cabin upgrade completed, including new carpet. It depends on the type of use the floor will be exposed to. I would think any type of "non-marine" grade flooring would not be a wise/good choice. If you choose carpet or hard floor, go with a marine grade. Remember, you have dampness to deal with on your boat. You also want something that will clean up easily. You could put down an epoxy with embedded traction (though you want it to clean easily too). Is the flooring in your cabin or deck area that you're talking about?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I replaced the flooring in a 18' Glasply years ago. I just yanked all the old marine grade vinyl out, cleaned the floor (old glue etc) really well, purchased some new marine grade vinyl and laid it using contact cement. Came out great and I got many years of use out of it until I sold the boat. Just take your time and think any seams you'll have through carefully. It really wasn't very hard. Sure a heck of a lot cheaper than having it done.

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
I would go either with marine carpet, or something with a sand / traction type of floor. Linoleum would get awful slippery with water and fish slime/blood on it. I'm going to be doing this soon, as my carpet is pretty thin.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The marine grade vinyl that I'm referring too isn't smooth. It has good texture and good traction It is very easy to rinse or wash off the fish blood, dirt etc. I agree with Steve, don't get something smooth that would become real slick.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
I say go with the vinyl clown: he dosent catch fish anyways

I would coat the floor with a good marine epoxy and then cover it with what you want ... or you could just add some sand to the epoxy for texture and grip.......

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Fish Guy Keith said:
I say go with the vinyl clown: he dosent catch fish anyways

I would coat the floor with a good marine epoxy and then cover it with what you want ... or you could just add some sand to the epoxy for texture and grip.......
Note that many epoxy resins will break-down with exposure to U/V rays. They have to be mixed and/or covered with a U/V blocker.

I like the idea of coating with epoxy, then covering with the marine/boat floor vinyl product. Take a look at what some of the aluminum boat mfgr's use for flooring when they don't use carpet.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am more concerned with the deck of the boat (the cabin I realy dont care about). The carpet was holding so much water on the floor it was starting to rot in some places so I am not replacing it with carpet. Here is a link of what I am thinking of rolling on instead of vinyl after I reresin the deck.

https://www.durabakcompany.com/inc/template.cfm?page=1

any opinions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts