Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
LOL!!! Just got the truck unloaded from a 1 dayer. Kinda slow today. Did'nt get in to triple didgets, but only shot a little over 3 hrs. Drove, and bs'd with farmers the rest of the time. My last 2 shoots were better. Kinda hate to shoot on them now. This is when you do the most damage to hatch tho. Thats what my hosts want.
I've drove about 1500 mi the last few weeks shooting, and scouting. Engines on my boat are probably froze up from sitting so long.
They're out on warm days, and have been for a couple weeks. I'm going to load up, and get serious soon. I need a 30' scissor lift in the back of my truck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured they were moving around, I guess I better head over and look. Between them rats and pidgeons, something needs killing. I don't think I've ever heard of a rat hatch before.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
They are gonna be hatchin out soon icy.
I was going to drive over today, but I slept in. All my trips have been one dayers. Its not too late to leave now because they are really not out good until 1 or 2 on these cooler mornings. When it warms up I usually start at 9 or so. Its a laid back shoot if you are already there. Wake up when you wake up....have a cup of joe, go have some breakfast, and start shooting at 9 or 10.
I have a new .17hmr that still needs sighting in. I should do that this morning. Its plenty calm right now. The truck is filthy, and the boat could use a little cleaning too. Don't want to go fishin this weekend with crappy lookin equipment so I better start with that. I see the steam is flattening out on my neighbors furnace vent so no shooting for me till it starts going straight up. I guess my neighbor is good for somethin...............hahahaha
Hows the squab shooting?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last trip over we found an old silo that was full of flying rats, it only had one hole right at the top like a skeet tower. The farmer was so happy to have someone shoot them he sent a guy down to chase the birds out. I don't know how many we shot but we had to make a run to town for more shells, three of us went through 600+ rounds. It was fun!! Going back the end of next week.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
With that kind of shootin. It would be tought to make a decision on what to go after.
Weather does'nt look to good thru Friday. I'm going to go if it improves. I need to get on my ammo supply otherwise my son will burn it up when I can't.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm afraid with the hurt we put on em it'll be two years before the shooting is that good again and I'm not patient enough to wait that long. I was all set to go Thursday and my wife reminded me of a wedding I have to go to this weekend. Oh well, maybe the HATCH will be better in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
From the little bit of pigeon shooting I have done I can see what you are saying. They can't take much of a pounding. The rodents seem to thrive most times, but I think I am responsible for putting a hurting on a few farms in some of the country I shoot in. They do(squirrels) relocate short distences, but in one case I shot purdy hard on a place for 3 years, and then last year did not fire a shot on this property. The farmer was quite happy...This year I shot a few on one trip. Looks like they are rebounding, or it is possible a small population is moving back in the area. Other ranches I have shot on have taken a heck of a pounding, and it almost seems like it gets even better. Then they disappear for for 8 or 9 months, and the cycle begins again. I love this time of year....
Looks like today was not as bad as they predicted. Should have went. NEVER TRUST THE WEATHER MAN!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Silver Slayer, I have seen rat populations in the foothills north and east of Kittitas. Go scout around that area and knock on doors and I'll bet you can get some shooting in. If you find hay fields or pasture with sage right above em its worth a look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts