Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I modified this recipe from the internet and made it last night... it was outstanding. If you think you don't like anchovies, use them anyway; they are the secret ingredient to many sauces and dressings. If you are reluctant, then use half a can and try it. This would also be good with mussles and/or steamer clams.

Red Hot Clam Sauce and Linguine

INGREDIENTS:

1 (16 ounce) package linguine
1 (2 ounce) can flat anchovies (drained and chopped)
2 tablespoons olive oil
4-5 large cloves garlic, pressed
½ teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 (2.25 ounce) can sliced black olives drained
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup thinly sliced green onions
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
1 (8 ounce) bottle Doxsee/Snow’s clam juice
1 ½-2 cups chopped razor clams

Cook linguine until just tender and drain well

Drain the anchovies reserving 2 tablespoons of the liquid

In a large skillet, heat the reserved anchovy oil with the olive oil over medium heat and cook the garlic for 30 seconds stirring constantly (do not burn it).

Add the pepper flakes, the anchovies, clam juice, undrained tomatoes, olives and wine. Simmer over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about 1/2.

Add clams, green onions and basil, return to simmer and cook 1-2 minutes stirring constantly.

Toss sauce with pasta and serve with grated parmesan cheese and French bread. Salt and pepper to taste.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Will this work with whole steamer clams? If so, do I need to add in the clam juice? I will be trying this out this weekend.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve been dying to try it with steamers and/or some Penn Cove mussels ever since I found the recipe but I haven’t been in the right place at the right time to get either. If I was going to use steamers, I’d skip the clam juice and stick them right in the sauce and cover the pan until they open up. Man… makes me hungry just thinking about it. I have also wanted to try this with halibut; I think if you steamed halibut chunks in the sauce for a few minutes it would be excellent.

FYI… the last time I made this I grated Parmesan (the good stuff not that sawdust that comes in a green can) right into the sauce just before I tossed it with the pasta and it was even better.

Let us know how yours turns out.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Fresh (key word there 'FRESH') steamers will provide enough juice and you should be able to skip adding any.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Absolutely delicious! My mother sent me some steamers and oysters after I lamented on the lack of seafood down here. Baked a few oysters, had some fresh and made the clams into this sauce. Instead of Linguine, I used Penne, only because I like penne more, and I used the whole tomatoes that I crushed instead of the pre-diced variety because I personally like really chunky. Salted the pasta water heavily, and with the clams, didn't have to season the sauce at all. I did fry the garlic and anchovies together to dissolve the anchovies a bit. I also did add a bit more crushed peppers and some of this hot chili's in oil stuff the Chinese make. It was delicious fresh, and from the looks of how the sauce thickens after a bit, looks like I"ll be eating good for the next couple days! Thanks for the recipe!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'm going to have to find some fresh steamers somewhere and try it myself.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could not stand it any more so I bought some fresh steamers from Pike's Place Market yesterday and tried it last night. That recipe is a good alternative to fritters and fried clams for razor clams but it is EXCELLENT with steamers.
There is no comparision to the flavor difference between fresh clam nectar and bottled clam juice. I also followed Mad Camel's idea and put the anchovies right in with the garlic. I washed the clams and added them for the last few minutes... just until they opened. It is one of the best clam/pasta dishes I have ever made.

There's one other thing I want to try next time... I generally don't steam clams any more, I use a recipe from a friend where you use a cast iron or other heavy skillet with a tight fitting lid and heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil very hot and then add a tablespoon or so of minced garlic, saute that for just a few seconds then put the freash steamers in, mix them around so the garlic sticks to the shells, cover and wait until they steam in their own juices and open up. When they are all open sprinkle fresh or dried basil on them and serve in a bowl like you would steamed clams.

I want to try this method and then mix the garlic basil nectar from the pan in the linguine dish and serve the clams on top.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I'm not the mad ungulate! I'm just the crazy magician.... :cool:

Anyways, about the steamers in cast iron.. I like garlic, shallots in olive oil and a bit of butter browned, stick in clams, toss in about half a cup of white wine, close lid quick, take off heat, shake pan around, done. Finish off with basil, lime or lemon, and a small drizzle of fresh olive oil (cooked olive oil and uncooked taste different). Enjoy with some crusty bread!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
madcapmag said:
I'm not the mad ungulate! I'm just the crazy magician.... :cool:

quote]

Sorry to confuse you with humpers... :D Sounds like your clam feast would be a good one too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts