Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a recommendation for a Canadian fishing lodge. I’d like to catch some salmon and maybe halibut. I’m not looking for one of those fancy places with the 18-hole golf course, hot tubs and the gourmet meals. A warm bed and a hot shower is all I need, oh and tight lines and screaming reels.

Thanks for any help provided.

·
Registered
606 Posts
My only experience with a Canadian Lodge was OBMG, at Ucluelet, and it was always a good time with lots of fish to be had. If all you need is a shower and a bed, stay on the ship. It's an old Canadian coast and geodedic survey ship thats permanently moored there. They'll put you up in crews cabins. We would go with a group of 5-8 people and have a blast!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Been going Ucluelet for lots of years but would not recommend staying on the ship too much noise to get sleep (all steel hull). I have always stayed at Island West but I am also going out on my own boat or friends boats.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
fishin musician said:
My only experience with a Canadian Lodge was OBMG, at Ucluelet, and it was always a good time with lots of fish to be had. If all you need is a shower and a bed, stay on the ship. It's an old Canadian coast and geodedic survey ship thats permanently moored there. They'll put you up in crews cabins. We would go with a group of 5-8 people and have a blast!
We did that trip last year. Halibut fishing was awesome...salmon not so good. If I was to spend the money again I would go to Rivers Inlet and fish "the wall"

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If you are not hauling your own boat here is how I look at it. Take the total cost of the trip start to finish and divide it by the number of fish you can retain and by the lb. Its easy a Silver avg. of say 6lbs a king 20lbs and a halibut 40lbs. I think you will find that for the same number of days you could go to a place like Sitka and pack away more fish than you can in BC for a real similar cost. Alsaka is not as hiut and miss on timing as BC either. Just an idea. I have fished all over BC nd liked Hakai pass the best when I did not take my own boat.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
King is makin' some sense. Tup:

SE Alaska saltwater fisheries are better and probably cater more to the "average Joe" type fisherman than some of the more famous BC lodges. The Canadian dollar is worth MORE than the U.S. dollar now too which will add to the cost overall if you fish BC.

Sitka, Prince of Wales Island, Ketchikan, Yakutat... all of these places will offer you exactly what you're lookin' for.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Good point Webo. I had forgotten the fact that the high exchange rate was one of the reasons we opted for Canada.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I liked blackgold lodge on rivers inlet , there a floating lodge closest to the mouth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts