Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be up in the Moclips, Pacific Beach area for the clamming opening the 21st, 22nd.. The last time I was clamming was at least 30 years ago south of Westport.. Is the clamming the same up north?? I have seen pictures of people on pretty dry sand near the edge of the water, and folks out in the surf up to their knees. Do I need to be out there in the water to clam up there?? I know it will be cold and wet and sandy, and that's cool, but is it a chest wader or hip boot deal??? Crowded?? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect and I'm sure GFer's will know!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
dmack,

I will probably be in that same area on Saturday. I usually wear chest waders but that's because that's the only waders I have. You would be fine in hip boots, actually, lots of people just wear rubber boots. I am usually right at the surf line, doing my digging as the waves receed. The size and numbers of clams seems pretty good in that area. Hope this helps, good luck!

kraigs

·
Registered
315 Posts
My girls and I went on the first November dig. We started about three hours before low tide. We followed
the surf line for awhile until we started getting into the clams. At the end there, two hours before low tide,
we were at least 30 yards up the beach from the surf and had shows all around us and were finishing our
limits within a 20ft circle. There were still some people following that surf line. I don't know why. We
just had rubber boots on. Still daylight when we finished. We were total beginners with clam guns.
It seemed like when we got into the good area, the more we stood around in the same place, the more
shows we saw. We used plastic sacks to put the clams in tied to our belts because I read that buckets will
get washed away by the surf. Next time we are taking buckets. It will be a lot easier to count your clams.
Your results may vary.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The TRUE Razor Clammer wears no boots nor waders.. But goes it in shorts, barefoot,(Maybe a pair of old tennis shoes).. The sting and pain you feel is the needed sacrifice to the clam Gods to insure your limit.. Works for ForestROCS & Co. every time.. Tup:

·
Registered
606 Posts
40 degrees and rainy? Sounds perfect, unless of course the rain is coming in sideways! Tup:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Do I need to be out there in the water to clam up there??

I depends on how low the tide is and when you dig. On the dig in Oct. We were 50' or more from the water . The moon was out so we did not even need a light to see the shows.

but is it a chest wader or hip boot deal???

I wear chest waders because if it rains I stay dry.

Crowded?? Just trying to get a feel for what to expect and I'm sure GFer's will know!!

Lots of beach don't even worry about it. Most people walk right over clam shows. We were a half mile from the nearest light.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input.. We are not really going for the clamming, just hiding out from the the family through the holidays in a little beach cabin. When they announced the opening I thought I might get sucked into the clamming action, so figured I'd see what the gang had to say..I checked out Bruce's little tips page on razor clamming, I don't have to put the clams in my mouth do I ??? I mean like, at the beach???

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Phil, we are leaving friday morning...Probably passing the des moines area eightish. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts