Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking of hitting the Skookumchuck tomorrow and the regs read thusly;

TROUT June 1-Apr. 30 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish June 1-Apr. 30 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Oct. 16-Feb. 29 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adults may be retained. Release
adult CHINOOK, wild adult COHO, and CHUM.
my question is, since Steelhead have been reclassified as salmon, is it closed to them or are they still considered "Trout" as far as the regs go and its fishable for Steelies until Apr 30th?

thanks all

Bobby

·
Registered
99 Posts
skook is open for steelies until the end of april. fished it today along with alot of other guys. was kinda slow. great color but kind of low. saw maybe 4 or 5 fish caught. threw EVERYTHING at em, no luck for me. good luck to ya tho.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all. think i'll give it a go tomorrow.

Steelhead's scientific name is Oncorhynchus mykiss. Oncorhynchus is the Genus of salmon. it used to be Salmo gairdneri until it was reclassified in the late 80's (i think) as it was found to be closer genetically to Pacific Salmon.

i wasn't sure how the DFW viewed and classified them.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Bobarino said:
thanks all. think i'll give it a go tomorrow.

Steelhead's scientific name is Oncorhynchus mykiss. Oncorhynchus is the Genus of salmon. it used to be Salmo gairdneri until it was reclassified in the late 80's (i think) as it was found to be closer genetically to Pacific Salmon.

i wasn't sure how the DFW viewed and classified them.

Bobby
legal definition versus scientific definition are not always the same. the definition pages of the regs has the legal definition for steelhead.

·
Banned
661 Posts
Bobarino said:
i'm thinking of hitting the Skookumchuck tomorrow and the regs read thusly;

TROUT June 1-Apr. 30 Min. size 14". Daily limit 2.
Other Game Fish June 1-Apr. 30 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
SALMON Oct. 16-Feb. 29 Min. size 12". Daily limit 6. Up to 2 adults may be retained. Release
adult CHINOOK, wild adult COHO, and CHUM.
my question is, since Steelhead have been reclassified as salmon, is it closed to them or are they still considered "Trout" as far as the regs go and its fishable for Steelies until Apr 30th?

thanks all

Bobby
That explains why I cannot for the life of me catch one!!! Stupid salmon...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts