Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about getting a used Class C RV. probably from 24-28 ft long. Was wandering if any one had any issues towing their boat with a rv like this? i only have a 18' intruder, so the weight is not that big of concern, just backing the trailor at the ramp and so on. I am very skilled with trailors, as i have been towing since i could drive. Also what are some things to look at as far as purchasing a used rv? I assume it would be the same, as a used vehicle, milage, tranny and so on. any input would be great.
******* out

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Check for evidence of leaks, condition of the seams along routes of entry for water to do it's damage. Run the RV fridge on house electric and propane...give it a few hours as sometimes it appears to be working but won't cool to the proper temp...rebuilds of the cooling units are around $700. Good luck, RVing can be a blast but like a boat...can be a pain. Tup:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I’ve owned motor homes for the better part of 20 years and wouldn’t be without one. The only thing I was sorry about when I bought my first one was that I didn’t do it 10 years earlier.

A few things…

Like anything else, if you don’t use it, it ain’t worth owning. Calculate the cost of the unit, maintenance, insurance, storage, etc then guess how many times a year you would use it. It may be cheaper to rent one if you will only use it a couple of times a year. We use the crap out of ours (average 9,000 miles a year) and have had many great trips and vacations that would not have been possible without an RV.

Motor homes are not cheap to get down the road. In spite of what the guy selling it says, you will get somewhere around 7-10 miles to the gallon which will cost you around 35-50 cents a mile.

We presently have a 28’ class C motor home with an 18’ heavy fiberglass boat. I have no issues with towing other than, for some unknown reason, when you strap 4,000 pounds behind you your gas mileage seems to go down. In all honesty, I’d rather back my trailer with my motor home than my pickup. However, I’ve had to uncouple the trailer a few times to get turned around… you have to be a little more careful when you head into some of the launches, especially at lake ramps. And you can’t park 50’ of coach and trailer just anywhere.

As stated, look for signs of leaks, especially on the siding; if it’s bubbled (delaminated) it leaks. Make sure the generator makes power and will handle a load. Fire up the water heater and furnace, pressurize the water system to check for leaks and if equipped with A/C check it out including running it off of the generator. Make sure to test drive it on the freeway.

And as I remind myself when I fill it up... there's more to life than gas mileage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts