Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday the wife and i decided to go on a little road trip in the new truck.We threw the steelhead poles in the back with some other goodies and headed for Sultan Goldbar via Ben Howard.Stopped at a bunch of spots and saw a few drift boats coming down and a couple sleds.Folks we talked to were not having much luck but it was a nice day for hitting the river anyway.Once we got into Gold Bar we decided to grab a bite at Zekes.Just east of Gold Bar about halfway to Zekes there is this little area on the rite where it says fishing.I had never driven down to this spot but there is a pretty nice hole rite there next to the railroad bridge.Not a Fisherman in site but i didnt know what the regs were there so we didnt get a rod wet.{Once we got home and looked it up we would of been fine}wondering if any of you have fished rite there at this place and if you caught anything there.Nice place just to sit by the river and toss a few jigs.Have to stop there again...

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Sounds like you were at the "Big Eddy" Public fishing access... or what is also known as High bridge. It's mostly the launching point for folks floating down to Sultan... but I have seen people fish there. Try the top of the hole where the fast water comes in with a float and jig setup. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
You might be surprised at what you can find hiding amongst the boulders. wink:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I got my first steelhead below the old train bridge a few years back :D

G

·
I've pulled nice winters off the west bank and summers on the east amongst the boulders at or below the train trussle. you were right by reiter you always have a shot at a fish up there!!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this Reiter place is that up stream from
the place i was at or downstream??

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
If you looked upriver from Zeke's about a half mile you will see parking along the shoulder of Hwy 2 -- The highway pull out and parking is just to the east of that subdivision of homes across from Zeke's.
That would put you directly across from the hatchery. There is good fishing in front of Proctor Creek too, just before you get to Zeke's going east. Heck, that whole area has decent water.

I like to park on the shoulder of Highway 2 just before the turn into the High Bridge launch, where every passing car can see my rig. I then walk back across High Bridge and fish the north bank, and head west down river.
In the summer, head upriver instead and walk a mile to the long deep pool. Fish every boulder that will hide a fish in the froth. This is not how the madding crowd fishes the area though. My spin on it is for solitude, and I like to hike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts