Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife got me a Quantum PT Touring for Christmas, and finally got to use it yesterday. I was a little apprehensive, as I had a couple of guys tell me that it was complete crap. My friends, being the great guys that they are, offered to save me the headaches and take it off of my hands before I went out and suffered disappointment and frustration.
I have one word for this reel: Awesome!
Looks fantastic, fits very well in your hand, and casts like a dream. I looked at them in the stores, and they feel smooth, but to use it is to love it. It has the external casting control, and I had it dialed in within a couple of minutes. I used a baitcaster for the first time this year, and it is an Abu Garcia Record, another great reel. It's awesome to fight fish with, but it's a little big and bulky, and doesn't cast nearly as well.
The bad news is that we went to the Nasty, and it was pretty dead. Caught one ugly old dog, and didn't really get to feel the drag, but from everything else about the reel I'm betting that it's a winner also.
If anybody is in the market for a reel, give this one a serious look. This is a definite winner. Tup:

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
I'm glad you like your new reel! There's a $50 mail-in rebate available for that reel now, through the end of May. Visit http://www.quantumfishing.com to print the coupon. Maybe if you're lucky, your wife will give you the "extra" $50 too!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Had a great time yesterday Vic. I really like the new reel and when we tested it and the Curado 201 DHSV of mine, side by side. I have to say, I think I like the feel of the PT Tour even better. Next time we will get into some hot fish and trade reels a few times and really test them side by side. Tup:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I have looked at those reels myself. They look like trouble, I have a old Abu 5000 i will trade you for it.That is only cause i am a nice guy. In all seriousness they seem like a great reel and if i was in the market that would prob. be the one i would get. Since I have a Curado 200sf and a 300 dsv. So another big ticket reel purchase my end me up in divorce court. Not to mention that yesterday she got my a new S&W .40 for a late xmas present. She didn't know about the cooling down period. Enjoy your new reel and look forward to seeing it in action on the river.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
This series of reels ROCK! Great $$$ value and performance. I heave my PT in fresh and salt...no complaints

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
shaynemol said:
sr5mike said:
She didn't know about the cooling down period. Enjoy your new reel and look forward to seeing it in action on the river.
Hopefully the extra time cooled her down some :D
It was only hell she will get mad at two or three new things in that time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang Mike! You get all the cool toys. You got the mack daddy reel not too far back, and now a gun too? :D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I would like to say it has something to do with the size of my unit. But my new years resolution is to always tell the truth. :lol:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I dont thihk that curado is any better than the new one you got. The new quantum's are smooth as butter. I cant wait to see a nice fish on that reel of yours.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We'll have to hook up and rip some lips together and trade for comparison. I know that Curado is nice, but I can't imagine anything much nicer than this PT. You're right, butter is the word. Plus I had it dialed in in 5 minutes without even having to crack it open. Simple, just like me. :cool:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're gonna laugh. A $60 Buzz Ramsey. Great rod. If they're there, I do about as well as the next guy.
My buddy has one of those spendy rods, and when I outfish him I give him hell. :lol:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
There is nothing wrong with a buzz ramsey.I almost bought one when they were on sale at Joes. If I wouldnt have gotten a Lasmiglas Certified Pro at Boaters World for 84.00 I would have one. I think what is more important than name is getting the right sensitivity and action for how you fish. For myself It takes me a while to get used to any rod. To understand what my line is hitting takes time. From the time i was a kid I fish with a fenwick nothing fancy just a glass rod. With that rod i could tell you if it was a rock , stick , grass or sand my lead was striking. I cried when that rod broke that was four years ago I still look at them on ebay. So dont put stock into what a rod cost get one that you can fish with. Now you have the cadillac reels that is a better place to spend money. Do you have a reel cover for that reel ? It will extend the life of your reel IMO.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Got the quantum pt last christmas from my inlaw's Tup: yea great inlaw's. :D Fished it hard this year and what a reel. Only one thing that I noticed was I have alot more line left on my abu 6501 when I cast to the other side of the river. learned to bring some line to respool if iget broke off to much. I respool before i get spooled.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
fisherofmen said:
Got the quantum pt last christmas from my inlaw's Tup: yea great inlaw's. :D Fished it hard this year and what a reel. Only one thing that I noticed was I have alot more line left on my abu 6501 when I cast to the other side of the river. learned to bring some line to respool if iget broke off to much. I respool before i get spooled.
That is the draw back to low profile reels I tend to go with a bit heavier main line like a 14 and a 10 lbs leader. That keeps my me breaking leaders not main line as often. Having a spool of line with you is a good idea , I carry a spare reel in my vest.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like fisherofmen, my only concern is line capacity. I use 14-17 main and 10-12 leader, and usually don't break much mainline. I also don't fish big rivers that much. I figure that if I don't get a fish turned around in 100 yards or so, he wins.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
zvic733 said:
I figure that if I don't get a fish turned around in 100 yards or so, he wins.
I had one of them win all my line a couple weeks ago. :lol:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Oh yea I had to learn how to reposition my thumb from being on the spool and line, because at a few hook sets i would press the spool release and release the line. I was so used to the spool release on the side of abu that when i first started using the quantum i had a few quick release of fish by pressing the spool release at hook set. I found that the line would not be tight anymore. This does not work well for getting the fish in. :D

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Going from a round casting reel to a low profile does take some getting used to. My first cast with my curado ended with the biggest rats nest i have ever seen. So back out came the ABU. After putting new line on it and some adjustments in casting style I got it down.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts