Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 years ago, I purchased online around 300 jig heads in; 1/32, 1/16, 1/8 oz sizes. Owner & Gama hooks.
Make and tie my own.
after the most recent trips on the Nooch, Snoqualmie and Satsop, lost a few fishing the downed brushy areas.

My stash is getting low.
Does anyone have recommendations for; bulk, asst painted, quality hook, Jig Heads only?
Looking to purchase in quantity again versus few at a time in the local tackle houses.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The cheapest way for me was to buy the mold and hooks and pour them myself, sounds spendy at first, but it more than pays for itself. wink:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Get ahold of Over The Edge Tackle as they are going to start selling bulk packages of every thing. Got the word from William Black who is pres. of the company on thurs. at the Sportsman's show.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Whoever starts tying jigs with the new Matzuo heavy wire sickle jig hooks is going to do very well. I pour my own and buy the hooks from RVRFSHR they are head and shoulders better then Owner or Gama. You can usually buy them from RVRSHR, but he has been out lately of the already poured jigheads.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've recently had a few of the new Matzou jig hooks break on me. They were not the sickle jig hooks though, and the last time one broke was on a fish not a snag sick: Considering I was only using ten pound test I will not be tying anymore jigs on them hooks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Red,
How are the Matzuo that much more superior than Owner or Gamakatsu? Is it the stregth, sharpness? Just wondering as I am not familiar with them.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
AAtackle said:
Red,
How are the Matzuo that much more superior than Owner or Gamakatsu? Is it the stregth, sharpness? Just wondering as I am not familiar with them.
Thanks
AA, well as far as sharpness goes you can't go wrong with Owner or Gama or Matzuo, all sharpness about equal. My favorite of the last few years has been the 1/0 Owner's and they are a great hook, but will bend out from time to time unfortuately. I dont like Gama's because they have a short shank and not much length to the point of the hook either. I like having the hook sticking clear through the fishes beak, not just inside the roof of the mouth if possible.

The heavy Matzuo gives you the best strength I have found, as far as bendage is concerned. It also has a nice long shank and good point length to really drive the hook through the mouth. Since I have been using the Matzuo's, my catch/hook up ratio went up, I haven't had any of the typical couple headshakes and fish off scenarios since using them, but Im sure its bound to happen. You can get them all.
This is just my opinion and I fish floats and jigs for steelhead a big percentage of the time.

BTW, I really like your jigs. I think every part of them is top quality and I have seen first hand that they put a lot of fish on the bank and in the boat. I know there are getting to be a lot of jig tiers over the last few years, but your quality and good customer service really stands out among the rest. IMO.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Red,
Thanks for the informative reply and kind words. I have been checking those hooks out for a while but have not really talked to anyone using them.I think the sickle bend is intriguing. I may have to give them a whirl.
Jody

1 - 10 of 10 Posts