Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the river for a couple hours this morning. Running side planner and Dr Death tadpolly.

Didn't touch a fish and didn't see any caught either. The river conditions looked great though!

Note: I added the little fish going in the net icon for reports. :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
what part of the puke? i was on the upper and the carbon yesterday and heard of a few caught. also went to the hatchery and only 7 fish have returned.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Down by the sewer treatment plant.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
What kind of sideplanner do you use Bruce? I have been thinking about picking one up. Are they pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it?

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Roady said:
What kind of sideplanner do you use Bruce? I have been thinking about picking one up. Are they pretty easy to use once you
get the hang of it?
Moulder Side Planner. I like these becasue I can cast and retrieve my plug without pulling the side planner in. You also don't have a side planner on your line when your fighting the fish.

I do replace the heavy cord that comes with it with 50lb power pro. There's too much water drag on the original cord.

http://www.sideplaner.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I like the little fishy in the net icon dealy bobber for reports... clap:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks for the report bruce... Me and a few other guys that know the puke inside and out have hit that river pretty hard for the last month and only managed lots of late silvers/chums... always run into a guy who knows a guy who talked to a guy that saw a guy land a fish... but have yet to see actual steel myself... and knowing that only 7 have returned to the hatchery isnt much of a motivator!

·
Banned
109 Posts
There is 178,000 winter steelhead planted in the Carbon and a lady working at the hatchery told me that 70% of the fish are caught by sport, commercial, or tribal fisheries. Dont get me wrong there are fish in the Carbon but when they plant 178,000 smolts......where in the heck do they go, I know there arnt that many fish caught by sport fishermen.

Jake

·
Registered
788 Posts
If you are lucky, only 2% of the smolt plan actually make it to harvest.....but yes, the returns to Voights have been pretty bad in recent years......maybe this year will be better Tup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
2% return on a good year for sure. 178,000 released smolts @ 2% = 3560 returning adults. At 2% this seems even a little high for the Puyallup/Carbon system these days. sick:

·
Registered
520 Posts
hatchery escapement returns for voights creek are available online for quite a few years back http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/hat/escape/escape.htm check it out... but i would like to see how many are netted by the native guys on the lower puyallup. Add that to the total that make to the hatchery plus the total taken by recreational fishing = percent return... still bet its not much better than 1% if that. The main problem with the puyallup is that the steelhead smolts need a good estuary to go out to and commencement bay isn't a great place for that... where as rivers on the coast of lower columbia provide better habitat and thus better returns...

·
Registered
398 Posts
i have 3 under my belt 1 in the high teens. lots of late silvers, they pass the time.

·
Registered
788 Posts
GreenSauks said:
2% return on a good year for sure. 178,000 released smolts @ 2% = 3560 returning adults. At 2% this seems even a little high for the Puyallup/Carbon system these days. sick:
I guess meant a overall 2% return back from the ocean would be good, before all the nets and whatever else gets to them. Yeah, a hatchery return of 1% would be a HUGE successs compared to recent years

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Thanks! I was very curious as to if anybody was catching ANYTHING on the Puyallup this time of year. Today, leaving Sumner i saw 3 people fishing, and even a drift boat floating down ???? :? :?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts