Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished solo today and picked up a 23" fish. It was the only fish I touched or saw for about 3 hours. I used a new 10'6" light weight rod and had second thoughts about such a long rod when netting. It bit on an army truck coyote killer with green/glow flasher on the bottom in 160' in front of Owens Beach. There was discussion about pale blackmouth, this isn't one of them.
I also saw a dead seal floating. At first I thought it may be resting, but it's head was under and it didn't move when I got the boat within 2 feet of it. No sign of trauma or blood.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Nice, Bright, Blackmouth Tup:

I heard a pod of Orcas was in the area last week. That seal could have been part of the carnage.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jack. The lighter 10'6" really allows you to keep the pressure on the fish, and it's fun having some serious bend in the rod from a not so serious fish. I am glad that fish was over 22" because the hook was through the jaw and into the eye socket.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Nice Black Mouth, go Orca's Tup:

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
NO kidding, netting by yourself is a trick. I haven;t tried the gaff although I've seen lots of Tacoma area fisherman use them when alone. I found the longer rod much easier when catching alone though, especially if I'm running a longer leader for some reason. Just gotta point that rod straight up to the sky and it comes right to the side of the boat and you can be standing right there. With the longer rod you have more suspension to if it decides it wants nothing to do with your net. When alone I think it's a must becasue with lnger rod, it's much easier to get the fish aorund swim platforms or outboards, or if it goes under the boat. With an experienced buddy, he can steer and motor and put the fish right where you he wants to net it (I've learned to grab the kicker and do this when by myself but that's super tricky if it tries to go slack, and again, the longer rod helps here too by lifting straight up.)

It's simply more leverage for whatever your trying but there is a learning curve. I can';t tell you how many times I;ve had to shove that long rod in the water all the way to the reel to keep from getting a last minute wrap up around dr balls, swim platform or outboard. When alone, you can't lift the dr balls out of the water like an experienced netman would do for you.

That inspired me...I might make a new post about what is expected of a good netman

Nice Owens beach BM!
Go Orcas'!
I hear about more pale or white Blackmouth around Point Defiance than anywhere but it does get fished by more folks.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Atta boy Dougie. That fish's meat looks a hell of a lot better than the last ones we got...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Nice fish Tup:

My dad and I went to Shimano Convergence 10'6'' 10 20lb downrigger rods. Thay are great for fighting fish around the offshore bracket,

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mayfly0013 said:
Nice fish Tup:

My dad and I went to Shimano Convergence 10'6'' 10 20lb downrigger rods. Thay are great for fighting fish around the offshore bracket,
That's the same rod I used. Not a bad rod for the price. They certainly load up nicely making for a great hookset.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Nightcrawler said:
NO kidding, netting by yourself is a trick. I haven't tried the gaff although I've seen lots of Tacoma area fisherman use them when alone. I found the longer rod much easier when catching alone though, especially if I'm running a longer leader for some reason. Just gotta point that rod straight up to the sky and it comes right to the side of the boat and you can be standing right there. With the longer rod you have more suspension to if it decides it wants nothing to do with your net. When alone I think it's a must becasue with lnger rod, it's much easier to get the fish aorund swim platforms or outboards, or if it goes under the boat. With an experienced buddy, he can steer and motor and put the fish right where you he wants to net it (I've learned to grab the kicker and do this when by myself but that's super tricky if it tries to go slack, and again, the longer rod helps here too by lifting straight up.)
<stuff clipped>
I agree with Nightcrawler re: the longer rod and netting - I think it makes it easier as lifting it up allows you to get the fish closer to the boat when you have a long leader. One quick comment though - it's illegal to use a gaff to land salmon
Page 27 under the general rules "You May Not ....Use a gaff hook, except to land legally-hooked HALIBUT, TUNA, or DOGFISH shark that will be retained."

·
Registered
488 Posts
Nice fish!
Good job netting!

I fish by myself quite often and the major difference between netting my own fish versus having a netman, is when someone else is netting your fish you can sometimes get away with bad techniques such as trying to net the fish before it is ready or too tight of a drag setting. When you net your own you quickly learn that you can't ever get away with bad netting techniques and in time you become a better netter, which will carry over to when you are someone elses netman.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Great looking slab CX. Maybe the seal died because his stomach ruptured from all the fish he stole from H.B. Kicker? Merry Christmas, T

1 - 16 of 16 Posts