Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a new deck built and I decided to buy a propane BBQ (stainless w/rotisserie) never have had one tell me everything I need to know if you would please,manufacturers,and other details not looking to spend a fortune maybe $500.00 at the most. Defiantly not getting rid of my favorite Brinkman smoke-n-pit either it stays gotta have the charcoal/wood flavor too.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Nice choice .... I dont have any info for a propane unit though!

SeaRanger21 said:
Having a new deck built and I decided to buy a propane BBQ (stainless w/rotisserie) my favorite Brinkman smoke-n-pit either it stays gotta have the charcoal/wood flavor too.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
As far as propane bbq's go I don't think you can beat the Weber's. I am on my 3rd one in 23 years. The down side is you wont get a stainless one with rotisserie for $500. But the longevity of the Weber over other grill makes the extra $$ easier to swallow.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I agree with weber all the way. After years of sitting in the rain, it is going strong. I eventually ordered a few new internal parts and grill and it was about good as new. Parts are easy to find or you can go directly to them through the web.

For smokey flaver, just get a wood chip basket or do as I do: put a chunk of foil in the corner and just put a handful of chips there each time you grill. Works great.

I even use mine for smoking fish and other meats. Just put the food on the top rack and cook on the lowest setting. Keep the wood chips smoking. After a little practice, the results are GREAT!

My next step is to switch it to natural gas so I can take advantage of the gas plumming off my deck.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When I cook a rib steak or something with a lot of fat on it my weber seems to flare up quite a bit now compared to when it was new. Do I just need to do a better job of keeping the flavor bars under the grill cleaner?

Oh and I don't think you can go wrong with a weber, solidy built and after 5 years the ignitor still works!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Props for the Webers. My parents once had a cheapo years ago, fell apart after a year. The Weber they have now has been going strong for a few years sitting outside. As far as the falvorbar flareups, cleaning them should help a bit. Also, like Alton Brown shows, its good to keep a spray bottle handy. Fill it with water, or even better, a marinade or juice or whatever. Spritz it on flareups and it does the double duty of flavoring the things you're cooking a bit more.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
Woodfighter said:
When I cook a rib steak or something with a lot of fat on it my weber seems to flare up quite a bit now compared to when it was new. Do I just need to do a better job of keeping the flavor bars under the grill cleaner?
Yep the bars need cleaned if your getting excessive flare ups.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Woodfighter said:

Oh and I don't think you can go wrong with a weber, solidy built and after 5 years the ignitor still works!
It's not just the flavor bars. Be sure to clean the whole inner workings each year at least - possilby each month or more if you really use the thing a lot.
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grillcare/care.aspx#gas

* Clean the cooking grate
* Clean the flavor bars and check for debris around the burner tubes
* Clean the removeable bottom tray
* Clean \ replace the drip pan

This can also help prevent fires. I've had a few close calls. Keep the spray bottle of water and a box of baking soda handy.

Things i've upgraded on mine so far:

http://store.weber.com/parts/

* Hose \ regulator - the first thing to go out within 2yrs. Wasn't getting enough gas to come through and sometimes it would just die. Pounding the regulator would buy me some time, but it would clog again. Bought a new one and it worked good as new again.
* Igniter kit - new puppy at the wires and knobs - don't ask...
After 5+ yreas:
* Stainless steel burner tubes - the old ones eventually started to break down \ rust out and not distribute the heat evenly. Upgraded to stainless.
* Stainless steel cooking grates
* Stainless steel flavor bars

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Woodfighter if your flavorizer bars are clean and you're still getting flare ups you may need new burner tubes. It sounds like it's 5 years old? Fire it up and look at the flame. Is it blue or orange? If you're getting a lot of orange you can try cleaning the tube orifices with a wire brush but it's only a temporary fix. The holes are corroding and closing up.
Mine is 13 years old. I just put in its second set of tubes this year and she's still going strong. It gets used at least once each week all year long. So another vote for Weber! My only bitch; Home Depot used to have an exclusive on the cast iron grates which I love. Last I saw they still do but there coated now. If I'd known they were going to be discontinued I'd have bought five sets.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
Donno,
I bought the cast iron porcelain coated grates. To replace my original cast iron ones. I like the coated ones much better.
They are easy to clean and still retain the heat like the originals.

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
donno said:
you may need new burner tubes. It sounds like it's 5 years old? Fire it up and look at the flame. Is it blue or orange? If you're getting a lot of orange you can try cleaning the tube orifices with a wire brush but it's only a temporary fix. The holes are corroding and closing up.
Great tip Donno. I checked out my tubes after reading your post. And you were right the holes were closing up. I tried brushing them but they didn't clean up very well ( over 12 years old). So I bought a new set of burners today and man what a defferance it made. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Glad I could help Duro.
I guess I should have explained what was happening as I'm sure most folks are saying 'what the hecks that got to do with flare ups' and don't think replacing them will help.
As the holes close up the propane is drawn further out by the flame. The flame starts extending beyond or at the edges of the flavorizer bars and that's close enough to causes your flare ups with a drip or two of grease. Even with clean flavorizer bars. I think our older grills, the ones with 13 bars, are more susceptible to this. The newer ones have 5 bars and the bars are quite a bit wider and may not have as much trouble.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I should also note I'm typing all this while eating some Memphis style ribs I just pulled of my Weber. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Duroboat said:
If the weber I have now ever wears out. This is the one I want.
I looked at one of those today $600.00 at Home Depot it does seem to be constucted a bit better than the other lines they carry. My wife told me of a stainless one she saw at Costco and it's not thier Kirkland store brand I need to go take a look at it.I cant believe the money they are getting for such cheaply constucted crap.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I bought one at Costco a few years ago and I don't think I would get another one. I suspect the n=ones now are different than mine. It works OK, but flares a lot even at low temps and the burner rusted out after the first year in the rain.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Duroboat said:
icatchum said:
Duroboat said:
If the weber I have now ever wears out. This is the one I want.
Now I know what you want for your birthday clown:
Yep that would work Tup:
Better put in a request for two of them one for home and the other for your cabin :lol: I'm going to look at some more bbq's this weekend but so far that model look's to be built better than any I have looked at so far Tup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts