Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know it's only mid-February, and the offshore stuff doesn't get really rockin' till June/July. All the same, I am truly obsessed with fishing for albacore, and moreso, I prefer private boats to charter. Been doing it for many years, and I'm hoping that this year is just as good (if not better) than last year.

Who else is as sick as I am? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fishing out of a private boat is the only way to fish for Albacore, No having to wait your turn and trolling is a blast when you have 6 rods and 2 hand lines out and fish start hitting them left and right!! I think you get bigger fish ,too! you also can stay up with the schooling fish better.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once we get on the troll, we usually fire up the tunes, kick back, and enjoy the day....

I'm still amazed at the lack of folks that know about the tuna fishery up here. Oh, well.....more to feed my sickness Tup:

The boat's just about ready to go! I predict it's going to be a great season!

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Coho Hobo said:
Fishing out of a private boat is the only way to fish for Albacore, No having to wait your turn and trolling is a blast when you have 6 rods and 2 hand lines out and fish start hitting them left and right!! I think you get bigger fish ,too! you also can stay up with the schooling fish better.
Just curious, how does that work for Washington?

… when you have 6 rods and 2 hand lines out and fish start hitting them left and right!!
How does that work when you are fishing from Washington? I know that there are no daily limits or size limit, but how many fishing rods or hand lines can be used to catch them from a private boat off our waters?

·
Registered
251 Posts
I plan on fishing for tuna out of my boat this year. I've been working on gearing up over the winter. Will probably fish out of Westport at least a couple of times this year.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cowlitzfisherman said:
Coho Hobo said:
Just curious, how does that work for Washington?

… when you have 6 rods and 2 hand lines out and fish start hitting them left and right!!
How does that work when you are fishing from Washington? I know that there are no daily limits or size limit, but how many fishing rods or hand lines can be used to catch them from a private boat off our waters?
On a private boat, less = more when it comes to lines in the water. I run 4 (sometimes 5) lines when trolling, and I have a couple of live bait rigs and soft plastic rigs ready to toss to breaking fish.

Some guys run 7-10 lines on a 23' boat; the problem is clearing those lines when you get bit. You're trolling- 2, then 3 lines go off. 3 guys onboard. If you've got 4-6 lines to clear to avoid tangles, you got problems.

When the first line goes off, I give it a 10 count before I take the boat out of gear. The 2 guys with me get to fighting the fish hooked; I put the boat in neutral, mark the GPS, and go back to
  • toss some live bait
    clear lines
    get a bait rig in the water
The first fish to the boat is get in the water to hopefully attract others. When it's over, we bleed the fish, reset the lines and do it again. And again. And again :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Hopefully this year for me if not should be ready by next year for sure.I'm really looking forward to givin it a shot. Tup:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the beauty of it- it's not really any different from making a run on the Sound. You prep your boat for a safe ride either way. You know how your boat burns fuel, and rides in different conditions. It's the same.

You don't need to bring your downriggers (you could, but they're not mandatory).

The biggest difference is you need to have a grasp on the tide charts to know the bar conditions (best t slack for crossing). WAIT- you already do that, too!

I think the biggest hangup for folks is that they my be out of sight of land- and that terrifies some! Rest well in the knowledge that land is always close- from a few hundred to a few thousand feet under your feet :D

Anybody wanting to ride with me or buddy boat for tuna this season is welcome!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
powder said:
pau hana said:
powder said:
Oh and my wife said we should go on a date first before you pop my cherry. :lol:
that comment made me feel like I need to go wash..... :eek:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. :?
No offense here....it's all good!

You DO know that it's a ritual for you to eat the still beating heart of your first albacore, don't you? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
pau hana said:
powder said:
pau hana said:
powder said:
Oh and my wife said we should go on a date first before you pop my cherry. :lol:
that comment made me feel like I need to go wash..... :eek:
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. :?
No offense here....it's all good!

You DO know that it's a ritual for you to eat the still beating heart of your first albacore, don't you? :mrgreen:
Haven't heard of that one... but hey, a ritual's a ritual. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SeaRanger21 said:
Wouldn't mind going along with someone a trip or two to see whats going on myself, be happy to share expenses
When I lived in California, I was involved in a pretty large fishing community, and one of the highlight areas was "skippers looking for crews and vice versa". It worked very well, as it was a place for boatless folks to catch a ride on a private boat, and skippers to find guys to share expenses and enjoy the day. Hopefully, that will happen around here as well. You're welcome on my boat anytime.

When would you like to chat re the private msg? Are you off Monday?

Pete

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
powder said:
I don't have any gear so let me know what i'll need.
I'm pretty set for gear, so a killer attitude is the most important factor to bring along. License, of course. Any lucky lures are always welcome.

No Bananas. Period.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts