Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't own any, as I don't do much trout fishing. The post I made inquireing about Rufus Woods said I should have a vriety of baits. I don't wnt to buy 20 jars of Power Bait. If you had to choose one or two. What would they be? conf:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
After many years of using power bait, I've been able to find 3-4 colors that work well for me.

First, the colors that do not work for me: blue, orange, dark green, and nightcrawler flavor.

The ones that work (in no particular order) best for me: chartreuse, rainbow, beige

The chartreuse is the one I use the most often. But, the best color I've ever used is the beige (brownish yellow--looks like cookie dough) color. It's amazing how few people use that color (it's actually a little bit softer texture than the other colors). Heck, I don't think I've ever seen people around me using it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
i have had tons of success with the darker yellow "salmon egg scented" flavor. It has outcaught all others by a large margin for me in a lot of diff lakes

·
Registered
946 Posts
get the power egg's, pink and green. you can catch multiple fish on the same bait.. Tup: For Rufus put 4 white marshmellow's on the hook and then 2 pink egg's.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Chartruse, Orange and Pink. And not the sparkle stuff!! Get those three colors and a bottle of Trout DNA and you'll catch fish all day! Form a decent sized piece (about dime sized) around your hook in kind of a tear drop shape. Make sure your hook tip shows ever so slightly. Then put a little Trout DNA in a small cup or lid and just roll the bait in it. Toss'r out and wait for the strike.

Cabela's has it on sale for $1.99 a jar right now.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If I had to chose one it would be sherbet Tup: , but green and chartruse work good also. And if all else fails try pink. Also the fish seem to like the paste better than the nuggets for some reason.

·
Registered
729 Posts
for me typically its either chartruse or the yellow and green swirled stuff. I also do pretty good one one chartreuse and one orange egg or any combo of those two

·
Registered
606 Posts
I hate the paste so I never use it. I've had success with orange, pink, and chartruse power nuggets. For Rufus, just use plain white marshmallows to float your bait. Last year I used red shrimp flavored, and Major used (I believe) garlic scented. But plain white seemed to be the hot ticket.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Just grab yourself some white small marshmellows for Rufus. Not only do they work with a bit of nightcrawler, but you'll have something to much on, plus, you can also make yourself into a marshmellow fountain... *cough* Guppytrainer....

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
madcapmag said:
Just grab yourself some white small marshmellows for Rufus. Not only do they work with a bit of nightcrawler, but you'll have something to much on, plus, you can also make yourself into a marshmellow fountain... *cough* Guppytrainer....
Mini mallows and nightcrawlers are all you need. I use a couple Power Eggs on top of 4-5 mallows on occasion,but haven't used the Powerbait paste or nuggets in probably 3-4 trips.

Marshmallows and worms will get you all the action a 2 fish limit will allow.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've never fished over at Rufus but here is what works for me on other lake. It's always good to have a couple jars of power bait, I like rainbow & Captain America(red, white, and blue). Also don't forget the EZ Eggs, they take scent real well. As for scent you can't go wrong with DNA trout formula or Krill gel. As posted by others Marshmellows can be used too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow!! Thanx guys. That really clears things up? conf: Looks kind of like any other baits. Personal preference is what you have caught fish on. If you happen to have the right color on the right day, you love it. If you don't, you don't think it's any good.

I think I will try EZ eggs with a DNA bath on top of some marsh mallows. I'll also drag along some crawlers. I don't see how any self respecting fish could resist. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts