Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started hearing a few bad reports around the potholes area… That told me it was my favorite time of year! Honker time! The chance to work geese in without having to worry about them being shot at every 300yrds makes my mouth water!

So we set off Friday night to be there by Saturday morning. We made it at around 3am just in time to get a little shuteye and be on the water early.

Got out and set our decoys. Went light on the deeks and placed our goose shells starting about 100 yards down working back to within 40ft

First light, Hmm not many birds…

After the first hour the teal started to move around and we were able to drop one male and one female green wing.

After another hour the wind stated to pick up West to East. Perfect for out location since the geese always come in from the east. First set of honkers come in on the horizon. Time to light up the calls! We work a few sets our direction getting them dialed in so they come in right over us… third set comes up and stays a little lower. Half-hour of calling latter… and almost out of breath up go the barrels and down come the birds!

Both birds land on the other side of the water…. my Irish, Swedish, English retriever bolts across the water and tireless searches out the birds… oh wait… that’s me…

Just about as soon as I get back to the blind my hunting partner says here comes another set! We light up the calls again soon we are blessed with two more birds.

Me with my two geese.

Stayed the rest of the day but didn’t get a chance at any more geese… did manage one more green wing on a single flyby and a golden eye.

We did however get blessed with one of those wonderful golden sunsets that EW likes to show us.

All in all a good day in my book with a mixed bag.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,983 Posts
Very cool! Well done, looks like a you had a great time. Tup:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I was over there Friday and Sat. to and have to say we say more ducks flying this time then the past three times over. We also had a mix bag of geese, green-heads and one pheasant. Good job and nice pics.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Great Report.

I think I know where you are at and if so you did much better than we did 2 weeks ago. We dropped two Greenheads at first light. Felt kinda dumb passing up brown birds for the first few hours. :lol: Those pictures make me want to go again before they shut her down!

Nice Geese too! Tup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts