Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We did pretty poor out at Potholes this weekend. Ended up with two Greenheads and Cold Feet. Talked to a few guys that did not even shoot at all.

Most everything is frozen unless it is real big or moving. There were Huge Rafts of birds on the Potholes (main lake) Saturday afternoon. There was a front comming in and we hopped they would move but that evening was DEAD. Nothing flying at all. Then Sunday they were all gone! :?

Anyone else see those birds. Anyone else have any luck?

·
Registered
284 Posts
On Thursday, I seen the huge rafts of ducks (thousands) you mentioned. I was pass shooting geese on a cliff overlooking the lake in the morning. Woke up Friday morning to 4 inches of snow in Moses Lake and headed home. Figured the birds would head down to tri-cities with all the snow, but I guess they waited until Sunday? Damn.......

The moon was pretty big around that time. With clear skies them ducks become noctornal.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Any open water to put into the lake, around the east end?
This is where we normally put in, but it may be buttoned up tight now.............
Might try shooting just south of Vantage on the river, in those tiny islands accessible by small boat..........we've done good there when the big lake was solid with ice.......put in at the boat ramp, and travel back up towards Vantage......and look out for the rocks!!and the fluctuating water levels!!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The east end had open water last week but I don't think that will last. We hunted the east end and nothing was moving for two days. I think we just got there bad timing.

I tried the Columbia near Vantage and it was nothing but divers (Coot, Scaup and Buffles). No quality. I think your right. They have to be headed for the Columbia when everything else is locked up.

Good luck if you go. 3 more weeks! Tup:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Just talked with my buddy/duck guide who hunts in this area.
He said the northerns started really coming in around November 7, ducks hung around until December 7 and took off!
Some guides say they headed back north,others said they headed into out of state and into California.
The Umatilla area has lots of open water, and temps are around 45 degrees, but they are not there either.
We've hunted with him since the late 1960's, and he says this has been a real bizarre year for duck hunting.....his party got a few today, but they really had to work for them.......not promising for the remainder of the season..........bummer!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for the info X5, I feel a little better now. I guess I am not alone.

Good luck with the rest of the year! Tup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts