Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bushman, Jesse and I went out today to a hunt club. We had a good time, not exactly like the last few weeks of wild birds because we knew going in that the place has birds. Rather then just hoping we can bump into some along the river or walking a ditch.

It's especially nice hunting like this with a young boy, and an even younger dog. However, I no longer feel any disadvantage with this very young dog. He pointed 6 chuckers and 5 pheasants. I was only hunting chuckers and shot five of the 6 he pointed. The one I did not shoot departed right over my sons shoulder an unsafe situation for a shot. It looked like he went into some long grass across a creek. We swung around to try and find him about a two hours later but never did. He also retrieved all the birds I shot. I'm now taking his bird recovery as automatic. It's so smooth and happens without any commands. That is his best skill to date. I'm glad we have worked so much on this at home with the wing wrapped around the training dummy.

Bushman on a solid point, it's a hen pheasant I could see, as I slowly walked up to him. It's about 10 feet in front of me. I was not gonna shoot it so I took this photo.

One of the Chuckers he brought back and gave to Jesse. I was surprised he gave it to my son that was a first.

Another Chucker

On the way home, we saw these turkeys in a pasture

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Nice Pics. hey the dog doesn't know the difference way to keep him on birds. What hunt club did you use?

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A hunted at a little one outside Dayton called Dry Hollow. I went cause it's close and although they release birds, they usually have a good mix of birds released from all season that nobody has shot. So the raised birds have been living in the bush for a while. At least thats what I was told by one of the members who told me about it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Looks like another great hunt and pix! Tup: How did you feel the hold over release birds reacted compared to the wild birds you saw this season?

Those turkeys are givin' me the shakes... one more month... :cool:

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a good question. I'm not sure one event makes for a credible set of facts. However they don't seem to run as much. It seems like they take flight much easier. I did not see birds running on the ground well ahead of me as I often do in a ditch along a road.

It's not exactly apples to apples though because I did not have a dog until before Christmas. Maybe with a dog the true wild birds would have jumped when pressured by a dog too?

The most noticable difference is the size. The Wild birds tails are twice the length, and the bodies much bigger. They seem stronger upon impact too. I've shot wild birds that hit the ground running. The leftovers at the club hit the ground dead, or barely flopping around. Again not really scientific, maybe I just hit them harder or with more shot?

I'll be hunting cook canyon hunt club in Ellensburg on Feb 14th. The breeder invited me to hunt with a buddy of mine. I want him to give me a professional evaluation of the dog. That way I know what to work on over the summer for next fall.

Hey one other interesting note here. He was at the Vet today for his final puppy shots. He was there Jan 4th and weighed 31 pounds. Today he was 49.5 pounds. He grew 18.5 pounds in 5 weeks. How is that possible? I don't think I went through a 20lb bag of food in that time. How could he gain 18.5lbs out of 20 lbs of food.

I know he crapped more then a pound and a half in that time!

He grew faster then Moose antlers do!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I believe it's because of the bones, my understanding is between 4-8 months is when they grow the most. Good luck on your cook canyon hunt I may try Pitt farm later this month there selling there pheasant hens for $15 a piece.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Shootthebest said:
JJHACK said:
Where is the Pitt farm, maybe we can hook up and hunt together?
I'm not sure if this is the place or not but I have purchased birds from them for 25 years.
http://www.pittsgamefarm.com/
Looks like a cool place, that would make a good addition to a Rufus trip! Tup:

stillwater said:
I believe it's because of the bones, my understanding is between 4-8 months is when they grow the most. Good luck on your cook canyon hunt I may try Pitt farm later this month there selling there pheasant hens for $15 a piece.
Yup, Stillwater hit it the nail on the head. When i raised malamutes we had a young male gain 35lbs in a month... The Vet said that was the fastest growth he has seen! Not the greatest thing in the end, he ended up with hip dysplasia... :( He was almost twice the size of all the other pups when he was born though...

15lbs seem like a normal growth for that size dog at his age. Did the Vet seem worried?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yep that was what I was thinking Rivertraveler, would make a fun weekend. JJHACK Pitt game farm is located behind Banks Lake, I haven't hunted there yet but would like to give it a go. That would be fun to hook up maybe have a gamefishin pheasant gala if not here somewhere.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lets make a plan folks, it's gonna be spring time before we know it. I would prefer to do this before it gets warm.

I'm up for a Saturday between the 16th and the middle or end of March.

Stillwater, Run with this for us...... we need a center man to pull it together.

Another very affordable hunt and much closer for the western Wa. folks. Never been there but might be worth looking into.

http://whiskeydickranch.com/aboutus.aspx

This place near moses lake

http://limitsgamefarm.homestead.com/limitsgamefarm.html

Just a few additional thoughts for us to consider. I think if we had 6 or more hunters we could get a better price as a group as well. I would love to have a couple guys hunt with me so the pup can work. We should try invite guys with dogs to this as much as possible!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well I'll try but I haven't put anything like this together before so please give me some grace. Pitt game farm seems to have the best deal but I'll check around some more and get a feel for those who want to attend think.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for picking up the job! We are all with ya in this. Just tell us when where and how much, I would not hesistate to mention that it's for this website and the amount of visitors that will read about the event at their place!

·
Registered
832 Posts
Stillwater, let me know if you need any help pulling this together i'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
RiverTraveler said:
Stillwater, let me know if you need any help pulling this together i'd be happy to help.[/quote

Thanks Rivertraveler and if this is something you want to head up I have know problem stepping aside and helping you. Have you hunted Pitt Game Farm? They seems have the best deal but I like to see the place before we plan a hunt there and the way the pass has been lately I don't know when I can get over.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Stillwater,
I haven't hunted at pitt before. Actually never have done the farm thing before. Certainly peaked my curiosity hearing that the birds react similarly to wild birds latter in the season after they've been out there for awhile. I'm sure they're are a few guys here that have hunted there or other good ranch/farm around the area.

PM me and we'll plan it together. Tup:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pitts is real informal, they give you the birds straight out of the pen and you plant and hunt em. Not like hunting-just for training. Birds don't always fly well. Also they are a long ways from anywhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts