Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a stick shift 5 speed NV4500, Dodge cummins Diesel Truck. It's got 70k miles and its a 2002. Are the only real issues with these the lift pump going out, and frying the injection pump? Or are there any other secrets? its a base model with roll up windows no cruise etc... Rubber mats, cloth seats. Probably dana's front and back, with disc brakes on the back.

Any input is appreciated.

Joe

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The 5th gear also goes out on the manuals. I can't remember if its the NV4500 (5spd) or the NV5600 (6spd). I'm pretty sure its on the NV4500.

Check out the Diesel Truck Resource website.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
joepajamas said:
Drat, i had heard good things about the NV4500. I googled your thoughts about it and it seems some peope have a bit of problems with them Double DRAT>....

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sa=X ... ms&spell=1

i was trying to steer clear of the Dodge and Ford Automatics, and those Duramax ones are still pretty pricey.
If you could swing a 2003 or newer,they come with the 48RE if an auto. The 48RE has proven to be just as durable as the Allison. The 48RE really doesn't have any problems until you're up about 425-450HP,thats about 100-125 over stock.

You get much past that and you're on borrowed time.

I'm not a huge fan of autos anyways. I had the Allison in my 2500HD,and it was fine, But I didn't like the way it shifted. The Allison is also so huge,it saps about 45-50hp out of whatever its behind.

I went with the G56 (6spd manual) in my '07 Dodge.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
IMO the Cumins is a great engine, but it's soooo loud. Dodge also has a history of front end troubles, they either get tons of play or memory. If you can find a Duramax with an Allison, you won't be sorry. Again IMO.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Cummins are ok but as mentioned they are disqustingly loud. Some like that ... I got rid of it after 3 years because of it. The tranny will do fine unless you are towing huge weights then you probably want to have it upgraded a bit. if you are towing less than 8,000 you probably wont ever have to worry. Just make sure you follow the maint. guidelines and it should be a decent truck for you. They all have pro's and cons and across the board seem to be about equal for the most part.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It almost sounds that alot of the problems people have are from doing modifications to the Motor. I don't think the noise bothers me, its a 24valve motor, which is a bit quieter then the old 12v ones. I have heard that front end parts wear out from the weight, thanks for refreshing my brain on that topic. I wonder if a 3500 would be more beefed up in the front end?

joe

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
joepajamas said:
It almost sounds that alot of the problems people have are from doing modifications to the Motor. I don't think the noise bothers me, its a 24valve motor, which is a bit quieter then the old 12v ones. I have heard that front end parts wear out from the weight, thanks for refreshing my brain on that topic. I wonder if a 3500 would be more beefed up in the front end?

joe
Until 2003 there wasn't a 3500 unless you got a dually. The 3rd gen (2003-current) are available with a 3500 SRW or 3500 dually. The 3500 SRW is basically a 2500 with overload springs. The entire running gear is the same for the 2500/3500 SRW. Axles,brakes,transmission,etc.,all the same. So in answer to your question,no the 3500 isn't any beefier than a 2500.

Unless the truck you're buying has a lift and huge tires,you shouldn't really have any problems with the front end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts