Votes: 10 11.9%
  • I do not understand CCA's direction and goals in the PNW

Votes: 38 45.2%
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please take time to vote and add comments, questions and/or concerns.

Please be candid in your feedback.

The comments and poll results will be passed onto CCAPNW leadership with user names removed.

Please leave the name calling and personal attacks out.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
What is their direction, and what are their goals? Are you talking locally, regionally or nationally?

Sorry BigDaddy, missed the "PNW." Disregard, the local/region/nation question.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think CCA's short term goal is to build a strong membership. I feel comfortable with that at this time.
Does everyone not understand that this will simply be a lobbying group to influence lawmakers. The more members and money, the more influence.
It will be up to the members to decide which direction and approach to take.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's pretty clear what short term (08') goals for CCA. To build it's membership and I'm O.K. with that.
My hope is some positive change comes about for the future of our resources. Tup:

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
I could care less about that group. But thats just me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Its a group to work the political system, I believe that is were the laws get changed. Although I am not an expert in that field I think that is how it works.... As far as how things have been done in the past as Dr Phil says " How's that working for you?" I will support them and any other group will help our cause, it's just to bad one we as a group can't band together and show true numbers..

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cohotr said:
How about explaining what direction CCA is going in and how does it apply to Washington. Once I have some facts the I will can answer your poll. Thanks
I don't have the answers. I was just curious how everybody felt about it.

Your above statement pretty much answers the question.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
CCA has a record of acomplishment in other areas of the country. They work the political side both regionally and nationally that we in the NW are unwilling to recognize. They are not a social club. I'm not knocking PSA, TU, or any of the smaller clubs but they just don't have the clout that CCA has. Over the past 33 years I've seen nothing but declining fish runs and reduced opportunity in this state. I'd also say that 95% of the fishermen that complain about the state of the resource, commercial activity, and reduced opportunity never put their money or votes where there mouth is. Whining to each other and in on line forums accomplishes absolutely nothing. The state has always catered to the commercials and will continue to do so until the feds step in and spank the status quo and those who support it. Currently the citizenry of this state talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. If theres a buck to be made anywhere - screw the resource. United we stand, divided we fall.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I was unaware that CCA had choosen a direction. Hard to say IF i'd support until I know WHAT I'm supporting. Love to hear more though.

·
Registered
565 Posts
CommanderX said:
I think CCA's short term goal is to build a strong membership. I feel comfortable with that at this time.
Does everyone not understand that this will simply be a lobbying group to influence lawmakers. The more members and money, the more influence.
It will be up to the members to decide which direction and approach to take.
Those are pretty much my thoughts also... Tup:

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
Unless something has changed and I haven't heard about it yet, besides getting members and having banquets to get the minimum $25,000 per chapter back to the home office, PNWCCA doesn't have a direction yet...ask again once they have something going, and then there will be more to comment on...

Fish on...

Todd

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
What Elkrun and Todd have said, is what I was getting-at by asking their direction. At this point there is no direction. They do have a direcTIVE to recruit members and raise money, but no directION... as my impression. It seems to be money first, direction second. I have a hard time supporting a group that does not have a plan. They could end-up using my money for something I'm not interested in funding. They could end-up going nowhere and my donated money would have gone to waste. (Not likely, but possible.) Everything is peachy now, but it's going to get tough and people are going to bail.

To further expound, CCA is a "For Fish" group, not necessarily a "For Fishermen" group. To save the resource could include the taking-away of ALL opportunity/participation/harvest, by sporty, commercial, or tribe. I choose to support a group that is focused on rehabilitation of sportfishing. The primary means of improving sportfishing is to improve the strength of the resource on-which it relies... the fish.

I do not have a problem with CCA. Actually I'm glad they're here, they're just not the group for me. They're reaching a group of fisherfolk, who have not yet gotten involved. However, simply joining CCA with your $25 membership is not enough. If you're going to join, you need also to get involved. You'll need to donate your time and money. Nothing will happen with the $25 memberships, except you'll get a newsletter and stickers. You'll need also to be patient. Politics moves slower than any other process known to man, and this is politics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't get the impression that the group will further exacerbate the problems that Northwest salmon face. I know that some of the folks who have joined and who support the group do feel pasionately about reducing commercial harvest and increasing runs of fish. And for $25/yr, I am willing to support the group for a while and to give it a chance. I know what I say won't change the way the folks who post against the organization feel--and that is fine--but I would encourage those who feel a little sick to their stomach when they read or hear about the waste or inequities of commercial harvest to go to the website, join the group, attend a meeting or two, and see if maybe the local chapters of this group can start to make some changes in Washington and Oregon.

·
Premium Member
32,972 Posts
By the results of the poll so far it looks like CCA needs to work on communication a little better. I bet they would gain even more support if they would explain their position and goals and objectives here in the nw. I for one would be happy to send them a check if I knew the answers to a few simple questions.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.