Game Fishing Forum banner

Do you prefer plastic or metal portable 6 gallon fuel tanks?

• I like plastic

Votes: 53 93.0%
  • I like metal

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I don't have a preference

Votes: 2 3.5%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My partner is fitting out a boat which will spend some time on a mooring. The 6 gallon tanks will need to be rowed to and from the boat, and filled ashore. We have two metal tanks and one plastic tank, all in very good condition.

So, in terms of carrying to and from shore, and having on the boat, what would you prefer for this application.....metal or plastic?

thanks

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
SalmonSeeker said:
I'm curious as to what advantage there is to metal for this application. I can't see any.
I don't see the advantage of metal cans in any application.

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Metal tanks will all eventually rust, inside and out. The bottom edges on metal tanks are straight and kind of sharp compared to the rounded edges on a plastic tank, so they tend to scratch things up more than plastic. Metal tanks are heavier as well.

·
Registered
936 Posts
if the metal you are talking about is steel then you'll have drawbacks- except I was thinking, they are grounded and don't blow up like plastic tanks that like static. At least on land this happens.

:shock: Aluminum is also a metal. And you'd be okay with that metal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's one drawback to plastic cans is that they tend to blow up when they are in the sunlight with the vent cap tight. But they are lighter to pack and they don't rust out.

·
Registered
946 Posts
SalmonSeeker said:
I'm curious as to what advantage there is to metal for this application. I can't see any.
I agree, they just rust out over a matter of time...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If you are going to use plastic tanks/cans make sure they are Ethanol approved!!!!!!!!
I read an article in a yachting mag recently that indicated some people were having issues with the alcohol fuels eating up their plastic and resin tanks!!! Metal is always E85 approved!!!

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
i like plastic since it wont scratch and they seem to clean up and look better longer than a chipped up metal one but get this: if you try to tow your boat onto a ferry they will confiscate a plastic gas tank! i had one of each on my boat and towed it to orcas is. they let me on but on the way back they said they couldn't let me on with a plastic fuel tank, but the leaky metal one was ok!? the plastic one was the good one! they said i would have to use it on the island only! total douchebaggery.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Clockwork said:
i like plastic since it wont scratch and they seem to clean up and look better longer than a chipped up metal one but get this: if you try to tow your boat onto a ferry they will confiscate a plastic gas tank! i had one of each on my boat and towed it to orcas is. they let me on but on the way back they said they couldn't let me on with a plastic fuel tank, but the leaky metal one was ok!? the plastic one was the good one! they said i would have to use it on the island only! total douchebaggery.
I'd forgotten about that.... We ran into a similar situation one time. We were taking two boats on a ferry from San Juan Island to Anacortes. We had metal tanks in one boat, and plastic in the other. They did not confiscate the plastic, but they made us empty them. Since our motor on the boat with the plastic tanks was 4-stroke, the tanks had straight gas in them. We emptied the fuel into the tow rigs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts