Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some pipe jigs yesterday and was wondering what hooks I should put on them? Single or treble? What size? If my interpretation of the regulations is correct as long as you are not fishing for salmon in area 5-13 you can use a treble as long as it's barbless. Any thoughts, tips or tricks?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Hey CC23, Would ya get yer wife outta the picher so I can git a better look at yer boat?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMAO!

·
Registered
520 Posts
i have always seen/used pipe jigs used with trebles... usually the bigger the pipe the bigger the hook... make a match that looks right... if you miss alot of fish go bigger i guess?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Depending on what type of bottom if fish.. Rocky bottoms, I tend to stay away from trebs as I snag up more often, If I am fishing flats I will put the trebs on.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I make my own. Its pretty simple really... Sometime when life slows down, I'll do a picture write up for the site. I usually match the hook to the jig size. I can make a bunch for the price of one in the store. I started out using a butane torch, a stainless steel ladle, copper pipe, coter pins, and old tire weights. Not the safest method, but I was carefule, ALWAYS did it inside so a stray raindrop didn't hit the molten lead. I need to make some over spring break. I'll see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Elkrun said:
I make my own. Its pretty simple really... Sometime when life slows down, I'll do a picture write up for the site. I usually match the hook to the jig size. I can make a bunch for the price of one in the store. I started out using a butane torch, a stainless steel ladle, copper pipe, coter pins, and old tire weights. Not the safest method, but I was carefule, ALWAYS did it inside so a stray raindrop didn't hit the molten lead. I need to make some over spring break. I'll see what I can come up with.
A buddy of mine made his own for our last trip. He cut up an old broken aluminum lawn chair. They worked great. There was a good, detailed how to post on the old board, maybe someone (or the author) can find it and re-post it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Can you use 2 sets of trebles, or just one? I don't remember what the regs say about that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts