Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can't believe I'm writing the first report for pinnacle lake..

(note to telki: pinacle lake is spelled pinnacle lake)

The small mountain lake is located on the eastern slopes of mount pilchuck. It's about a 2 mile hike in and most of this 2 miles is very steep but the trail is well maintained.

Drive the loop road past verlot and along the south shores of the south fork of the snoqualmie and a few miles past the bridge over the south fork you will see a sign directing you to boardman, ashland, and bear lakes.............. follow the narrow gravel road about 6 miles to the Bear Lake trailhead... about half a mile up you will reach the turn off to bear lake (a rather large and fishing looking lake itself) but keep going straight. You will cross the bear lake outlet creek and then start gaining elevation quickly.

a little over a mile up the switchbacks you will enjoy some nice views of bear lake and then it's into the forest for the final leg of the walk to pinnacle...

Pinnacle is small, narrow and picturesque. Surrounded by salt and pepper granite rock it's shoreline is steep but negotiable. A shorefisher with good casting ability will be able to reach pretty much all the water in the lake but a float tube will make the fishing much easier.............

My last trip to pinnacle was about 40 years ago... back then the trail ended at Bear lake and we had to bushwhack from there... my only recollection other than climbing steep huckleberry covered slopes was casting out a small flatfish that had some split shot tied about 14" in front for weight.

I felt a slight tug and when I reeled in noted that the flatfish had a deep gash in it that almost sliced it in two.. the back end was just dangling from the rest of the lure... tried a couple of other lures with no luck but have wondered ever since what the heck kind of fish could do that to a flat fish... or maybe it was an aquatic alien of some kind..... after 40 years of wondering I finally made it back......................

this time I was armed with 1/8th ounce lead head jigs adorned with small black mister twisters..............

and there are definitely fish in this lake... lots and lots of ED BD EB's (e.g. 5 to 7 inch brook trout).. I could watch them follow the jig and try to grab it but their mouths weren't large enough to impale themselves on the hook.....

if you like casting small flies for small fish and getting lots of action this is definitely a place to consider....

and don't knock small mounntain trout for putting on the skillet.......... the way you prepare them is to remove the gills and entrails and then scale them.. this leaves you with something that looks like a whole fish but more edible... then heat up some butter that has been sprinkled with lots of tumeric and grill until brownish....... you will find that the meat just peels off the bones and the tumeric makes the skin taste very good.. also (for those who aren't fish eating connosiours) the best meat in a fish is the meat behind the head......... cut the cooked head off and put it in your mouth and the oily head meat can be sucked right into your mouth.. it's extremely tasty and loaded with omega 3's...............

now.. as to bear lake... have never fished that one at all but it looks like it probably has a lot of eb's in it also.. might be bigger there because it's about 1,000 foot lower in elevation and has a longer growing season............

mosquitos were very thick at pinnacle (though strangely absent along the trail).. so avoid this one in june and july..... mosquitos will be gone by mid august or so and from then until about mid October (or the first mountain snows of the fall season) is the best time to fish.....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
please note that in the previous pinnacle lake report I wrote that you follow the south fork of the snoqualmie river before turning onto the gravel road leading to the trail head..

this was an error... I meant the south fork of the stillaguamish river....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts