Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking about upgrading reels when I build my new Rainshadow XST1143. Initially I was just thinking Curado 201DHSV since I've always used curados in the past. But then i started looking at the Pflueger Presidents and Trions. They are much cheaper feel very good in hand. Actually seem a little more comfortable than the curados, to me at least. Anyone have experience using them or reviews/sugguestions... Mainly gonna use it for drifting and throwing hardware with 10lb mainline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have purchase 2 Trions. Both lasted less than a year. Went to Curado and after 2 years works flawlesly. Cast better farther a smoother than Trion any day. Go with Curado espescially if drifting light weight. The Trion sucked at throwing light weight drift rigs.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pflueger spinning reels are awesome, and I have had no trouble with any of the ones a have...But the casting reels are terrible. After having so much luck with the Pres. spinning reel I went out and bought a Pres casting reel. I only used it in fresh water after only 1 month the drag started sticking and it was real rough. I sent it for reapir and it did the same thing about 2 months after getting it back. I now have 2 Curado's, a Corvalus, and a Diawa Luna, all 4 work very well. In my opinion I would recomend the Curado or Luna. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I have the old style curados, trion, calcuttas, and various abus.

no problem with my trion, although many others have complained.

if you are looking for a cost savings, I suggest going to Ebay and buying a new (old style) curado for about $100 or less.

if the Shimano rebate is still running, you can get a $50 rebate off the price of a new style curado

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I use my President Baitcaster for every kind of fish even big dog Chums, if you buy it they will bite :lol: I have had no problems with it, beleive me you will love how smooth the President casts once you get used to it of course, just like any Baitcaster, good luck with the purchase Tup:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Anybody know of a shop that repairs Pflugers? I recently aquired a Pfluger Trion from a buddy who gave up fishing and moved to Florida. The bail is stuck and I'd like to have it repaired. I figure I might as well give it a shot, after all it was free right. :D I may just send it back to Pfluger, but was finding someone to work pon Pfugers has been tough.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Aaron said:
Anybody know of a shop that repairs Pflugers? I recently aquired a Pfluger Trion from a buddy who gave up fishing and moved to Florida. The bail is stuck and I'd like to have it repaired. I figure I might as well give it a shot, after all it was free right. :D I may just send it back to Pfluger, but was finding someone to work pon Pfugers has been tough.
Where do you live? Frank at Fish Country in Salkum on the way to the barrier dam on the Cow can fix any thing and at a reasonable price.
I have a Trion thats 3 years old and have never had trouble with it and know 3 guys with Pres. and they love them. I need to wear out 10 or 15 baitcasters before the wife will let me buy a Pres. For some reason she thinks I have enough. :lol:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i have a mildly used pflueger president left hand retrieve. Used it for springers, and fall run chinook, silvers, chum, did em all in. i could sell it to ya for $100. i just have too many reels, and not enough rods, lol, nor money.

·
Banned
109 Posts
DO NOT BUY A pfluger president, they're a COMPLETE POS, problems after problems, Ive went through two of them already and just decided to buck up and buy a curado. Buying a pfluger baitcaster would be like "degrade" in reels. They feel great in hand dont get me wrong but when it comes to endurance they suck, I only used mine for steelhead and salmon and it wasnt abused in the least. Shimano has held up longer than all other brand reels Ive compared to. My rule of thumb for good levelwinds, you need to spend the extra coin {no less than 180}, some may disagree but this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the old style curados and never have had a problem with them. As for the trion, it is currently on the injured reserve list. It is not even two year old. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Aaron said:
Anybody know of a shop that repairs Pflugers?
Outdoor Emporium in Seattle. It should cost about $25.

I have the Pfluger President and love it. Used it for Bass, Salmon, and my first Steelhead. Look on Ebay!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
sommysom said:
Aaron said:
Anybody know of a shop that repairs Pflugers?
Outdoor Emporium in Seattle. It should cost about $25.

I have the Pfluger President and love it. Used it for Bass, Salmon, and my first Steelhead. Look on Ebay!
Thansk Som...I was thinking Ollie Damons or stopping by the place Backlash II mentioned...but Outdoor Emporium is much closer for me. I didn't pay anything for the real, and I'd like to toss it on a back up rod. I think it is the bail spring... ;)

·
Registered
832 Posts
I've had both Presidents and Trions bait-casters and both are sitting in drawer waiting to get fixed... wouldn't buy either one again. Tdown: upgraded to the calcutta TE and LOVE it. Tup:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
i have a President and while its my first baitcasting reel so i don't have much to compare it to, i love it so far. took me a while to learn the ropes but it was easy enough to use for even a total newbie to learn. its smooth, light and seems plenty sturdy. i have two complaints about it though.

first is the paint on it is thin and easily scratched.

second is when you press the release and fish with it that way, freespooling, there's a piece of metal that sticks down right into the side of your index finger knuckle and it gets irritating after a while. i switched my grip to using my middle finger on the hook of the rod and almost palming the side of the reel. that fixed it but it'd be nice if there wasn't a sharp piece of metal sticking down into your hand with the bail open.

i'd recommend them. good deals to be had on ebay for them.

Bobby

·
Registered
606 Posts
Pfluger must have some inconsistencies in thier mfg process. I don't use my Trion baitcaster every weekend, but I'm going on my 4th season with it, no problems. It took over 20 years to wear out my Medalist fly reel.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I have a trion BC reel and I am lucky to say I have not yet experienced the nightmares others here have suffered with them.

Mine has never failed me and it has landed every chum I battled.

It is not in the same class as the Curado D, but it is IMHO just about on par with the Green Curado in all but one aspect. The trion does not fare well casting weights from 3/16 oz down, but a green curado can.

I would recommend the Curado over the Trion if you have the $$, but overall it is a solid reel if it is in working order. On positive note, the Trion has landed every chum I battled with it, but the first chum I fought with my curado d spooled me even when it was at full capacity. :shock:

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
islandbass said:
It is not in the same class as the Curado D, but it is IMHO just about on par with the Green Curado in all but one aspect. The trion does not fare well casting weights from 3/16 oz down, but a green curado can.

I would recommend the Curado over the Trion if you have the $$, but overall it is a solid reel if it is in working order. On positive note, the Trion has landed every chum I battled with it, but the first chum I fought with my curado d spooled me even when it was at full capacity. :shock:
The Curado BSF is my main reel, but I plan on tossing the Trion on a back up rod. I am on the Pfluger site as I type this and tryign to find the parts list so I can order a new bail spring but am having troubles finding it. Tdown:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts