Pelle Gun Rules in Spanaway | Gamefishin.com

Pelle Gun Rules in Spanaway

Discussion in 'Guns.....Guns.....Guns...Things that go BOOM' started by Navy Chief, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Navy Chief

Navy Chief New Member

Been trying to find the rules online but no luck.

I got my son a new pellet gun for Christmas. The break barrel type with a .177 (1000fps) and .22(800fps) option from Beeman. Its loud as hell when fired since its new. I think it will lower in volume once its done with "dieseling". Anyway.... is it legal to shoot a pellet gun in my backyard. I live off 224th and 70th in Spanaway. Its pretty rural. It wasn't a concern before because the old bb/pellet combo wasn't loud. Now this new gun sounds like a .22. I'd hate to get a ticket. If its not legal then I guess I'm going to Sportsman's to get a kids Bow.

Thanks for the help. I know its a noob question but I didn't realize this thing was loud.

2. Navy Chief

Navy Chief New Member

Pellet Gun Rules in Spanaway

Spelled pellet wrong

3. Clockwork

Clockwork Well-Known Member

regardless of the law, my advice is to build a really safe back stop (large, wide and soft) and then go talk to your neighbors who might hear it and they might be cool with it if they see your setup. your only concern i think is neighbors turning you in and of course the responsibility of making sure it is actually safe.

pellets are safer because they smash, absorbing the energy with less ricochet but id still be cautious of it.

i just got a zombie gun for christmas (ruger 10-22) and was trying to figure out how i can shoot it in my backyard. im not going to do it but i was going to use .22 CB Longs (almost silent) and making about a 20' wooden shroud in front of my shed to absorb fire catch any highly unlikely ricochets.

as long as you dont have neighbors behind you and have a great backstop i dont see any problem with what you're doing.

4. codliveroil

codliveroil New Member

I think firing a projectile is illegal , My buddy was trying to figure how to harvest some deer in north Tacoma , He finally got to that answer .NO projectiles

5. Motoboat

Motoboat Member

Why ask a legal question on the internet? I don't get it. Wouldn't this be a prudent question for the Spanaway police dept or sheriffs office? Wouldn't they be the ones knocking at your door, with the authority to legally inform you of the law. Maybe city hall, would be another option. Or you could just start shooing because some noob on this site say's "It's Okay".

Spanaway isn't that far from fort Lewis. After checking your firearm in at the main gate office. You could shoot in certain areas. They have a Pheasant release site out there.

6. Motoboat

Motoboat Member

Those CB's are quiet and pack a good punch. Will go through a 3/4" thick piece of plywood and halfway into another sheet at 30 yards. My understanding is the CB has a primer and no other powder. Going to do more that sting the skin of a squirrel in the back yard.

7. Skorzeny

Skorzeny Active Member

My Uncle always used the CB or shorts in the 22 to off the pig he was going to butcher. Pop twixt the eyes and on
    with the clean up and meat cutting.

8. Pouser Keith

Pouser Keith Member

Re: PELLET Gun Rules in Spanaway

Navy Chief,

Get onto the internet and start doing a search for Spanaway's City Codes. Many cities will have them posted on the City's offical website.

In basic, here in Renton (where I live) has rules that allow you to use air-powered guns (listed airguns, bb guns, sling shots, wrist-rockets, etc) on your own property as long as you do NOT cause any damage to any other persons property. The RCW (for Renton City) also states that you can NOT shot at or injure any animal/bird, and your city may have rules listed as so.

I suggest that you find out what the city code is, print it out so that you have a copy of it at hand, make SURE that your son knows that rules, and that your son FOLLOWS the laws. (Make sure that you have EXTRA backdrop safety in use in your backyard if you are able to shoot in town). I shoot as much indoors as I do outdoors but that is because of the NW weather more than anything else.

I have "quite a bit" of money wrapped up in airguns and enjoy shooting them when I can. If your son's airgun is dieseling, it is shooting super-sonic which is not good for the airgun piston seals. You may wish to clean any grease off of the gun from the chamber area and also have your son shoot some heavy weight pellets out of the airgun until the lube is burned off.

9. Bubba

Bubba New Member

What I would do , is call the Pierce county sheriff and ask them, they are the ones who will come visit if someone complains to much. Just my .02 worth

10. babyishcare

babyishcare New Member

I have a little Daisey pump rifle ($35 walmart special) that shoots 625fps that I would like to shoot cans with in my back yard for fun and was wondering if that is legal. We used to do it growing up and never had an issue but in todays world you never know. anyone with info or experience on this issue please do chime in .
    read more about Kids Bow And Arrow !!!!!

11. Easy Limits

Easy Limits Moderator Staff Member

This is a very old topic so it will be closed. Please feel free to start a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

azs

best cameras

news

spanaway gun law