Discussion Starter #1
Echo Mules
Trophy [301 - 500]

Online Status: Online
Casts: 400
Topic: Pasayten Grouse/Pack Trip
Posted: September 10 2007 at 11:48am

Moved from the OLD forum.

My son and I spent Labor Day weekend packing into the east end of the Pasayten Wilderness. Last year there was a large forest fire in the area, the Tripod Fire which burned 30 square miles and into the Pasayten almost to Canada. In fact, our High Hunt trip got cancelled, as it was on fire during the September early season. We rode through the burn to get to the meadows at Horseshoe Basin, where the fire stopped. Our camp was about a mile from the Canadian border, called Zack's Camp. This was my son's first pack-trip and also a first for our pack mule, due to a series of conspiring events which have reduced our riding trips the past few years. We broke a rule by having more than "one first per experienced rider." Cheyenne our pack mule is four years old, born at our place, and raised by us. She has had some pack training but never had done an overnight trip, she did very well, was a little nervous about the top pack, but handled it just fine. My sone rode his mule Jack and I rode Echo. Grouse season opened the day after riding in and my son did bag a big blue, one shot in the neck with the 22. He was and is very proud of the his harvest. We only saw a four grouse on the trip, one before the season, one flew off along the trail, his Blue, and a spruce grouse we got along the road out. Not looking good for deer season, as we never even seen a single deer the whole weekend, and very little sign. Apparently their patterns have changed with the burn, will take some time to figure it out. Besides the fire, the bark beetles have killed most of the spruce trees, in some of the pictures a good portion of the trees are now giant dead kindling torches. We simply broke branches off of one and lit with a match for our campfire, quite scary. I hope all are careful up there or we'll have this fire thing all over again.

Riding in from Iron Gate trailhead.

Pick Pocket Meadow.

Up through Sunny Pass.

Zack's Camp is in the lower-center clump of trees, uphill from the little mound.

Dinner, Rice mix and Spam.

Early morning grouse walk, and deer scouting.

Day ride to Haig Mountain.

Just had a grouse fly off where my son is with no chance to get it.

My son's first Blue Grouse. One shot, one kill!

Smith Lake, this guy caught a trout while we were talking with him. He and his wife were packing Lamas and were very glad to have some fresh meat, a few too many dried food meals on their trip.

Down from Sunny Pass into Pick Pocket basin, on the way out.

Some areas of the burn were filled with returning vegetation, while others were nothing but ash.

If it doesn't have long ears, don't ride it.
AHE
IP Logged

Cheez
Contributing Members

2007 Contributing Member!

Online Status: Gone Fishin!
Casts: 548
Posted: September 10 2007 at 12:03pm
Looks like a great trip, congrats on the grouse. I've hunted the Irongate area quite a few times in the past, seems like it got hit pretty hard by the fire. It's a beautiful area and have always enjoyed it up there.
So many hobbies - so little time.
IP Logged

Soady
Bucketmouth [201 - 300]

Casts: 256
Posted: September 10 2007 at 9:19pm
Awesome photos and a great narrative as well. I enjoy reading post's like this. Thank you for sharing.
Soady

"I think yer a little heavy on the sap"
IP Logged

X5FishinMachine
Gamefishin Pro Staff! 2000+ Posts

Casts: 2939
Posted: September 11 2007 at 9:27am
Great pix!

Gotta ask, any fish in that water??
This should be a prime area for mushrooms too!

Mike

IP Logged

netboy
Contributing Members

2006 Contributing Members!

Casts: 3159
Posted: September 11 2007 at 9:58am
Looks like a great trip! I'm sure your son will remember it for the rest of his life!
IP Logged

seatrout slayer
Old Timer [751 - 1000]

Casts: 764
Posted: September 11 2007 at 10:08am
That was a really good post . I kinda pictured myself riding along with you guys . Real nice pictures too . Thanks for sharing . Pat ( congrats on the grouse too ) Pat
I don't get paid enough to be nice !
IP Logged

10Key
Coho [51 - 100]

Casts: 74
Posted: September 11 2007 at 10:21am
Looks like an awesome area
IP Logged

Echo Mules
Trophy [301 - 500]

Online Status: Online
Casts: 400
Posted: September 11 2007 at 3:58pm
Thanks all, See what happens this weekend, heading back in again for the high hunt. May shift to the side of this area a bit in hopes of finding some deer.

re: mushrooms, there were plenty of people out picking them and although it is closed to commercial harvest, I believe that is where they were headed. Pickers were pigs leaving garbage everywhere.
If it doesn't have long ears, don't ride it.
AHE
IP Logged

RiverTraveler
Bucketmouth [201 - 300]

Code Cracker!

Casts: 263
Posted: September 13 2007 at 8:38pm
Amazing! Thanks for sharing!
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent.
IP Logged

fishforfun
Contributing Members

2005 Contributing Member!

Casts: 2036
Posted: September 13 2007 at 8:55pm
Way to set the bar for hunting reports for this year! I hope that others take that kind of photo documentation on their hunts so we can be right along with them. Congrats on the grouse, I'll be out after them this weekend with Antlershed.
GO COUGS
TRANSPLANTED CAPTAIN OF TEAM SHARKFIN
Clubs are for seals
IP Logged

netboy
Contributing Members

2006 Contributing Members!

Casts: 3159
Posted: September 13 2007 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by fishforfun

Way to set the bar for hunting reports for this year! I hope that others take that kind of photo documentation on their hunts so we can be right along with them.

Those were me thoughts exactly. I plan on doing a better job this year taking pictures of our deer and elk trips.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Nice pics! Looks like you guys had fun.
I'm not sure how much has burned up Andrews Creek the last few years. The Meadow Lake area use to have plenty of grouse. Doren will have a few high hunt camps in that area. The grouse were not very dumb the last few times I crawled around up there....but there were plenty of them.
I back pack, but most the folks you run into are riding. Its just far enough in to keep the crowds down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts