Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried it? I just picked up a spool of 10lb, and tied up some leaders. I like green line. Almost all the fluorocarbon are clear. This may sound funny, but I fish better with green line. :mrgreen:
I did'nt see it mentioned in the last fluo thread. It seems very similar to the other fluor's when tying it up.
Just curious what the rest of you think. I'll give ya my report, after I fish some clear water. Hopefully it will not be too long.
I also picked up a spool of cabelas no-vis fl...

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I have some 8 lb that I have on a spinning reel. The only things that I don't like about it are the cost and its very stiff.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Im not sure on the P-line halo but as far as the evolution goes its complete junk, it took me 7 knots before I could get one to stick.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Is it just really slippery or something? I just bought some Power Pro that i'm struggling with to find the right knot. I think i found it finally but one can never be too sure until he pulls a fish in on it and checks the knot.

·
Registered
867 Posts
O. mykiss said:
Im not sure on the P-line halo but as far as the evolution goes its complete junk, it took me 7 knots before I could get one to stick.
I agree, the knot strength is garbage. However my favorite line is CXX, incredible strength.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Power Pro comes with knot instructions, follow them and you will be fine. Also, if you don't have the box or spool anymore go to power pros website and it will have knot instructions. You are looking for uni knots, at least thats what I use for PP. I've always found Pline to be very stiff and pretty much impossible to cast on a spinning reel. When you open the bail it seems to just explode off the reel. But, it is very strong.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Check out the San Diego Jam knot on here. It works great on braid and mono and it is one of the easiest knots around to tie. I've never yet had this knot fail.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will only be using it for leaders. Stiff is good. Less line twist. If I were to guess right now w/o using it. I would say it seems to have good knot strength. When you pull the line through on your last wraps on the hook it pulls through nice and smooth. Price is comparable to the Maxima fl...
Since I brought up price...Red mentioned in the last fluor thread that he liked Yozuri Hybrid. Now that stuff is priced to sell. I will be trying that too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree with srchn4salmon - the regular mono P-Line SUCKS for use on a spinning reel. Maybe it's not meant for a spinning reel, but I learned that the hard way..... :(

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
powder said:
Is it just really slippery or something? I just bought some Power Pro that i'm struggling with to find the right knot. I think i found it finally but one can never be too sure until he pulls a fish in on it and checks the knot.
polymer knot. i think there is a little booklet in the power pro box that shows the knots.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Yeah, i saw the booklet and tried a palomer and it broke. There's a knot by Berkley that's supposedly for braids specifically so i'm gonna try that.

Before you say anything, i know, i tied the palomer wrong. I don't know what i did wrong however and i don't want to lose more gear. Maybe i pulled the line end when i was supposed to pull the tag end or something.

·
Registered
613 Posts
powder said:
Yeah, i saw the booklet and tried a palomer and it broke. There's a knot by Berkley that's supposedly for braids specifically so i'm gonna try that.

Before you say anything, i know, i tied the palomer wrong. I don't know what i did wrong however and i don't want to lose more gear. Maybe i pulled the line end when i was supposed to pull the tag end or something.
When you get your loop, pull the tag end until the loop comes down on the knot. Then pull the main line and it will not fail.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Uni Knot is great for braid, has never failed me.

As far as P-line Halo, I have no idea.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I should have added that. I use only palomer and the uni knot for all of my line, mono or braid. Since I switched to these knots I have not had any knot failure.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
srchn4salmon said:
Uni all the way for braid!
The clinch knot works great for braided too, IMO of course

·
Registered
284 Posts
powder said:
GURU said:
srchn4salmon said:
Uni all the way for braid!
The clinch knot works great for braided too, IMO of course
On the paper i got with my Power Pro is says don't use the clinch. lol
I wouldn't doubt a clinch knot would work or even a square knot if both are pulled tight. Learned the uni-knot from my first package of Ppro and have used it ever since. Found out last fall with the "new" power pro you better check the knot by pulling hard on it because sometimes it will slip on the "new" coating.

·
Banned
109 Posts
Clinch knots will slip if pulled tightly, however it may seem strong when you pull it but when you hook that fish of a 1000 casts (steelhead) you will be very disapointed when you lose the fish as long as your float or whatever. My best advice is to use a palmer knot for all braids, its very strong and very simple. I watched a guy who was using a clinch knot with 50lb power pro and every snag he would use all of his gear, I showed him a couple simple steps to a palmer knot and he never broke another mainline knot the rest of the day.

Jake

1 - 20 of 23 Posts