Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using the Maxima Flourocarbon in the 8lb. variety exclusively for hatchery fish this year. The knot strength seems decent at best, but knots just don't seem to cinch up very smoothly no matter how wet they are. I was looking at P-Line flouro's, but I don't know where to start. They've got regular Flourocarbon, Flouroclear, Halo, Florice, and CFX. Anyone know what the deal is with the different Flouro's??? I can read about them on the site, but anyone have first hand experiences with the differences? Just looking for a Flouro that ties good knots.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
If your looking for leaders I would try the CFX leader material... good stuff!!....... As a main line I would go with Halo..... But you definatley have to wet the knots on florocarbon!

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
CFX for leader, fluoroclear for mainline, halo for baitcasters (seems too stiff for spinning), regular Flourocarbon for mainline if you really want it, fluorice for ice fishing (some lines become brittle at low temps).

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I have been using the CFX for main line and leaders on all my rods (both spinning and casting) for the last 3 years and have had no problems with it at all.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Personally,I think Flourocarbon is alot of hype. If you want the good stuff though,get Seguar.

I've never heard of anyone not having success with it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
The science behind fluorocarbon is undeniable. The need for its use, sometimes debated. For ultra clear water, fluoro is the way to go. How clear? Who knows, ask the fish. But the science is sound.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
i like to use floro in the summer when water nearly everywhere is low and clear, and late in the winter runs when rivers are dropping. i never used floro till i was at the skook one time and could see a fish, and casted at it several times, only to watch it dodge my line. I used floro ever since for low clear water fishing. and usually use it for float and eggs too, because you can never be too safe when it comes to springers!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still use regular ultragreen or Pline CXXX for mainline, but the flouro has seemed to help get more fish this winter atleast. Thinking of switching permanetely to flouro. Ive also heard that pure flouro sinks faster than mono too?? anyone else heard that??

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
CFX is good stuff...I use it sometimes, but I'm cheap. I use the regular mono until the water has 5 or 6 feet of vis, and if I'n not catching fish. I switch over......

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
mitch184 said:
I still use regular ultragreen or Pline CXXX for mainline, but the flouro has seemed to help get more fish this winter atleast. Thinking of switching permanetely to flouro. Ive also heard that pure flouro sinks faster than mono too?? anyone else heard that??
The CFX I use is a thinner diameter than the same test strength mono is so it sinks faster, casts farther and cuts through the water with less drag. And while I don’t have any way to measure it, I think it is a bit stronger than the mono too.

After using the CFX on one rod for a year I liked it so well I switched all my rods over to it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Fluoro is indeed denser than mono, so it will sink faster.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts