Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/hab/video/hoodcanal_bb.wvx

check out this disturbing video on the department's website about oxygen die offs on sunde rocks in hood canal, make sure you have the volume up to hear the narration. i want to hear what causes this.

check out the group of keeper lings in waist deep water and the "super schools" of rockfish in sub 15' depths. bizarre. I visited the hood canal via boat last year and noted that nothing at all could be caught or found despite the fact that it looks remarkably pristine.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Fin-Eat-O said:
this claim is nothing new. I've been on the canal for parts of my whole life... there is plenty of life.
I was waiting to see if you would comment on this one :lol: how have you been, haven't seen ya in a while, any nice fishie stories Tup:

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fin-Eat-O said:
this claim is nothing new. I've been on the canal for parts of my whole life... there is plenty of life.
did you not watch the vid? why is it so hard to catch a bottomfish there? Seasons so short? What is your analysis?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have heard it is from algae blooms that deplete the oxygen. I have also heard that the algae is caused by too much nutients deposited from all of the dead chums striped of they're eggs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Clockwork said:
Fin-Eat-O said:
did you not watch the vid? why is it so hard to catch a bottomfish there? Seasons so short? What is your analysis?
I dive the south canal and it is not full of life. Also, bottomfishing is closed year around.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fin-Eat-O said:
Obviously you very ignorant to what's going on out on the canal then Fin-Eat-0. My family owns many properties on the Hood Canal and has since the late 1930's things definitely have changed, and continue to due so. I know this from first hand accounts from my grandfather, father and other older family friends. The statics and research also show an ugly picture as well. I personally have seen dramatic changes in the last ten years. That video has been around for a year or two now. Last summer I saw the biggest ship I've ever seen in the south hood canal, and it was a research vessel. I only can hope that things will eventually get better as the Hood Canal and specifically the Tahuya area do and will always hold a special place in my heart...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Fin-Eat-O said:
That's not even close to the truth. The claim certainly is not new... but it is also CERTAINLY true. Your first hand experience accounts for nothing compared to the scientific research that says otherwise.

The canal is becoming an underwater wasteland... and there are many factors contributing to this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts