Oversize sturgeon with Great NW Rivers Guide Service | Gamefishin.com

Oversize sturgeon with Great NW Rivers Guide Service

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by Kokanee Kid, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Kokanee Kid

Kokanee Kid Active Member

Alarm goes off at 12:30 am, I think to myself this is guna be a very long but great day. My crew shows up at 1:15 and off we go. Straight to the rookies house to get his fishing license. Then we start heading south, we have a date at 5:00 am. We meet up with Paul and he already has set anchor and buoy! After a short boat ride it straight to fishing for bait, I mean shad. One rod out for springers and three for shad. The springer rod went down in a hurry, fish on fish gone. Paul gets ½ of a fish for that one, because we had a vote. The bait, I mean shad fishing was not hot but Paul got-er-dun. We might have even caught more than the other boats that were looking for shad. We also had another springer on a shad rod, that did not last long with 8lb test.
    [​IMG]
    So now we get to go do what we drove three hours for, huge oversize sturgeon. I took all of maybe of: 15min to get our first hookup of the day. We put my buddy from South Carolina on the stick first. And this beast took to the air shortly after hookup! Now the only thing I asked Paul for before our trip was one fish 7’10� or bigger. Why you ask? Well when I stand up with my arms straight up that is 7’10�. So I can tell all the kids I know I caught a fish this big (imagine my standing with arms raised). So my boy from S.C. hands the rod off to me. I try to put the hammer down just to lift her head, she decides to jump about 8’ from the boat. Oh how I wish we got that on video! Kurt batted clean up and landed her. After pics and putting a mark on the boat for measurement she swam off to fight another day. After high fives and taking a breather we took a measurement……………………………..8’10�!!!!!!!!!! I was happy right then, any more or bigger was a bonus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our guide told us to expect to hook 6-10 of the monsters. After that fish every rod twitch we were all saying “oh no!� Paul was not satisfied with the spot we were in so a short boat ride and back at it. And just before a third move we hook fish number two. After another intense battle we land a 9’ dinosaur! I’m thinking holy crap they are getting bigger!
    [​IMG]
    We move to spot number three, we didn’t get totally set and we had number three on! Another muscle straining fight and another huge fish at 7’8�! I need a rest, but Paul was relentless. We ended the day going 4-7 on the big boys, fish number four was a 7’ pig. One of the fish lost was a “my bad� due to me volunteering to put the wood to the next fish. That was not very pretty, not at all. And I’m sure Paul being a professional wont give me crap for that wink: On a side note another my bad, all the fish measured were to the underside tail (that would be the wrong one!). Paul said to add at least 6" to make better measurement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Paul fished us hard, sunup to sundown! I have been on a few guided trips, most 8hr trips maybe 10 at best. Not this guy! He fished us fro 17 1/2 hours!!!!!!!!!! Now I don’t know about you, but that’s a killer deal in my book. Thank you Paul for a trip I will never forget!

To those of you who never had the chance to fish for oversize sturgeon:
    Go while you still can! These fish are beasts, line ripping aerial monsters. The will make you hurt! You work your butt off to get some line and they rip it right back. You tighten the drag all the way and thumb the reel. It does not help they still take line when they want it! If you get to go do this, bring back up. Sharing the rod shortens the fight, and that is better for these truly awesome fish when released. This just might be the most under rated fishery in Washington and Oregon. The pics and video I have don’t even come close to a clue to how powerful these fish truly are. I would do it while you still can. Oh, and bring pain reliever!

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to read my scribble and close with this. I would like to officially challenge team f24! Its very easy, beat 9’6". You may bring a third, no weight lifters. And I will even give you 1 year to do it. Will you accept?

2. fishn2gthr4ever

fishn2gthr4ever Moderator Staff Member

Zoinks… Amazing, absolutely amazing, Jr.! Cami and I agree it would be incredible to fish with Paul and hook into one or more of those behemoths - to document the excitement would be pure adrenaline! :D Lucky for you, our 9-5’s prohibit us from making trips far away from home (except our planned annual Sekiu trip), so you will have to remain reigning champion. However, if by some stroke of fortune we are able to take you up on that challenge, I believe fish whacking would be in order… Tup: Tup: Thanks for the great pics and story! clap: clap:

3. Kokanee Kid

Sorry to say Ma-n-Pa, that's a lame excuse! I will give you 1 year to complete the challenge. That will give you lost of time to plan, and lot's of weekend's too.

4. fishn2gthr4ever

Whew, that will give some time to pump some iron. I think we are going to need it! :) :)

5. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Seeing posts like this AMP ME UP Tup:

Nice job, Awesome work on the monsters and glad to see people getting out with the kid and hooking them. More people need to go down there and experience it. There is NOTHING to compare an oversize sturg too ... beasty, sexy and awesome. Every one of them

damn Paul ... nice boat too...lol

6. eenakok

eenakok Moderator

Very nice!! Tup: Tup: Tup:

Thanks for sharing the pics and report! I am glad to hear you had a great time!!

7. fishn2gthr4ever

That boat definitely has the Mojo!! Tup: Tup:

8. wannafish

wannafish Well-Known Member

Oh my, what a report! Won't the kokanee look small now, Kid? Great report.

9. GreatNWRiversGS

GreatNWRiversGS Well-Known Member

Thanks for the report, I am gald you had a great time, this is why I do what I do, to give people the chance to have a great day on the water! but man 17.5 hours was a long day!

10. RETTRO

RETTRO New Member

Good stuff, Paul.

Good on yer clients too, buddy.... clap:

11. Kokanee Kid

I will take that as "we accept"!

Soory Chuck I might have pissed on the boat, my bad :lol:

You should go brother! Bring your Dad too, great father son trip.

by wannafish on Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:27 pm

Oh my, what a report! Won't the kokanee look small now, Kid?

NEVER!!!!!!!!

And a great day it was. I'd would place it in the "epic" category! I know there are three guys that wont forget that day!

If ya never done it RETTRO, what you waiting for?