Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fishing these? If so, how are you rigging and fishing them. Drift fishing, under a float?
Thanks

·
Administrator
13,983 Posts

I haven't used these particular baits but I have used other bass tube baits for steelhead and they defiantly work.

In fact, a lot of bass tactics were stolen by the steelheaders. :lol:

Fish them weighted with or without a float. Just like you would any other jig.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have some tied up in different combinations with corkies in front and drift them like any corkie. I use a sewing needle to thread them down the leader and above the hook and bead under them to keep them from sliding down the shank. I fished them for a couple of seasons now and they look scrumptious to me but so far I haven't convinced Mr./Mrs. steelie of that.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I picked up some bass tubes from ebay, clear holographic with sparkles. When you slide the clear tube over colored beads (and/or over painted round/oval slip sinkers) and then tie a siwash hook at the end, the color shows thru the soft plastic. It gives the overall rig a nice holographic sparkly pink color (if I have it slid over pink beads).

Knocked the pink salmon dead with a similar rig this past september, casting and retrieving.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bet they work great. There was a post of what guys are using to plunk with and they got skirts under their spin and glows. Makes sense. Especially in mud puddles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Best jig hook I've found is at Wal-Mart, 1/4 oz, 1/8 oz, Luck "E" Strike made with Gamakatsu hooks collar hook jig hook. The wire thickness is about the same as the 2X Strong Gamakatsu jig hooks but with a little longer shank that matches the tube size. For a drifting set up I've been using two small Atlas foam balls slide on to the 3/0 hook leader with a needle then the tube over the foam balls and then a small piece of cooked shrimp or prawn slide up the hook on to the leader below the foam balls into the lower portion of the tube. Great rig to drift fish straight tube and give some floatation and scent. I will also slide small corkys, cheaters, cheater flash-n-spins and Danielson spin drifters in front of the tube with no bead between. What I like about them is they are the same size and profile of a sandshrimp. Any rig that you would use a sandshrimp, try a tube. A very versitile artificial bait for sure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts