Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 60s My Dad and I did alot of cold smoking, using refrigerators and piping in the smoke. We tried all the local hardwoods several times on steelheads to whitefish and suckers. Of all that we tried - the undried fresh Hazelnut was our best wood for cold smoke. Since then I still use dried Hazelnut chips, presoaked, for smoking everything from perch to huge sectioned turkeys. Some wood chips are quite bitter, but even after 5 pans of Hazelnut chips, there still is no bitterness and alot of pink flavor penetration. I use no seasoning, brines, etc, except for injected real butter and a handful or 2 of powdered black pepper. I don't cold smoke anymore and use Roasting Thermometers on all racks.
I'm just about out of Hazelnut wood chips. Before I retired, my job was roadside maintenance, where when out doing brush control, I'd collect up the Hazelnut chips from the 12" Brush Bandit chipper, dry them on the patio, bag'em in sandbags and hag'em from the rafters of the garage.
Other than the normal store bought little bag brands, that are all sawdust particles - Does anyone have any resources or ideas to where I can find large hardwood chips (small chunky type), like Oak, Maple, Peach, Pear, preferably Hazelnut? What's your favorite wood?

·
Super Moderator
32,972 Posts
If you want hazelnut I would give Chris our sponser a call. And see if he has the Treager hazelnut pellets. I have been told that the pellets work great in regular smokers too. And that they generate more consistant smoke than chips do and burn longer. I haven't tried it myself yet because I have a lot of chips I bought when they were on sale. But when I run out I am going to try the pekkets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts