Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you free women to vote for Obama

Oprah says women should feel free to vote for Obama over Clinton
Printer Friendly | Email | Add to My News | Post comments Font Size: a a A A | Rank: # 1 of 8,211
Filed under: LOS ANGELES , LAURA KURTZMAN , California Primary Obama
Map data ©2008 LeadDog Consulting, Tele Atlas - Terms of UseMapSatelliteHybridFeb 3, 2008 3:33 PM (20 hrs ago) By LAURA KURTZMAN, AP
LOS ANGELES (Map, News) - Offering women a permission slip to desert the candidacy of Hillary Rodham Clinton in favor of Barack Obama, Oprah Winfrey said Sunday they should not feel guilty if they preferred him over her.

"Being free means you get to think for yourself," she said, "and you get to decide for yourself what to do."

A few minutes later, her friend, Maria Shriver, the wife of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, came on stage and announced her support for Obama.

Shriver said she only decided at the last minute to come to the rally at the University of California, Los Angeles, and support Obama publicly.

"I thought, if Barack Obama was a state, he'd be California," she said to a crowd of 9,000 inside UCLA's Pauley Pavilion. "Diverse, open, smart, independent, bucks tradition. Innovative. Inspirational. Dreamer. Leader."

The Illinois senator has come within striking distance of Hillary Clinton in California, the biggest delegate prize of Super Tuesday, but Obama lags among women.

A Field Poll out Sunday had the race a tossup, with Clinton at 36 percent and Obama at 34 percent among likely voters in Tuesday's Democratic primary. But there was a marked gender gap, with women favoring Clinton by 13 points and men favoring Obama by the same margin.

Because about 55 percent of Democratic primary voters are expected to be women, Obama's campaign is hoping that Winfrey, with her vast, largely female audience, can help bring more of them his way.

Winfrey bridled at criticism she received after her first campaign foray for Obama in three early voting states.

"You know, after Iowa, there were some women who had the nerve to say to me, 'How could you? How could you?'" she said, with mock indignation. "'You're a traitor to your gender.'"

The crowd booed.

"Yes, that's how I feel," she said, adding a little later, "I say, I am not a traitor. No, I'm not a traitor. I'm just following my own truth, and that truth has led me to Barack Obama."

Walking into the sports pavilion, 29-year-old Iroro Edos said she prefers Obama but could live with Clinton as president.

"I'm for Democrats. It doesn't matter if Obama or Hillary wins," said Edos, who lives east of Los Angeles in Pomona. "As long as the Democrats win, I'm good."

It was Winfrey's first appearance on the Obama campaign trail since she held rallies for him at the end of last year in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

She and Shriver appeared Sunday with Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of former President John F. Kennedy, and Obama's wife, Michelle, before a multi-ethnic crowd.

Shriver's support comes after her uncle, Sen. Edward Kennedy, issued his own endorsement of Obama, even as other Kennedy family members are supporting Clinton.

Schwarzenegger, a Republican, has endorsed GOP candidate John McCain.

Asked why he came, 51-year-old David Sobodos, of Redondo Beach, answered, "Obama - and I like Oprah, of course."

Sobodos, who used to manage a motor sports raceway in Los Angeles, said he liked Obama's open-mindedness and Winfrey's good works.

"Whatever she connects herself with is about being good," he said. "Helping people, lifting people up."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
"Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed."
Hey Einstein... look up the definition of "redistributed". C&Ping this article here is ILLEGAL. :eek: clown:

I might hafta turn ya in just for fun! :D :D

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Being free means you get to think for yourself," she said, "and you get to decide for yourself what to do."

Oprah even helps you out there Webo.

Liberals are all tattle tales, knock your self out!

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
Being free means it's something I don't have to pay for. Don't know WHAT Oprah is talking about. Not sure she does either.

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
What Oprah says is elect the taxaholics. I can afford a tax lawyer. Can't you?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Webo said:
Hey Einstein... look up the definition of "redistributed".
Too easy Webo... Just ask any liberal. clown:

It is impounding as much personal wealth and privately owned property as possible and doling out what is left after bureaucratic absorption to the welfare of any philosophical, material or social entity earmarked for favoritism.

But, of course, no koolaid for the hated moral hardworking factions. ( conf: ?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts