Game Fishing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Have you ever shared something really special with someone, and had them promise to keep it too themself..only to come back to that said spot, and seen them with 3 of their friends..multiply that by many thousands my friend. Something like this has some folks spazzing out bigtime. There are some that might get a kick out of that. Share it by pm if you have to. Its a nice thing! It really is..I take a lot of folks fishing, and hunting. I believe sharing, but stopped shooting myself in the foot a long time ago.
Im gonna bow out now. The sooner this goes away the better.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Corey-I am sure you are a nice guy with good intentions. But please don't ever post that info again on the internet. Unfortunately hundreds of people read these threads, not just the person who asked originally.

And no none of us own that system - but there is a difference between educating a person on how to fish compared to, WHERE to fish. It doesn't take long for a spot to become a "combat zone" and that area holds priceless reverence to ALOT of people. (myself included)

I also have no problem sharing techniques with people, but some fishing locations are meant to be found, not advertised on the internet. It also has nothing to do about being able to catch fish myself, I have no problem going toe to toe against anyone throwing hardware.

Of course ALL my opinion, but shared my many.

JoeJ-sorry for the side-rants. I hope you enjoy the OP with your family when you go! As people have mentioned already-doublecheck emergency rules, there are a multitude of options to fish in one of the most beautiful areas of the country.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
I will say it one more time!

This website was founded by Bruce Pearson and one of his golden rules here was to share fishing spots, locations, and catching methods here with our fellow members. I would encourage Gamefishers to continue to do what this site was originally established to do. It's simply amazing why some members here complain about other members leaving and not posting here anymore when a few here want to keep their fishing spot secret and then scold others when they do what this site was intended to do from its conception. There is a lot more to this site then just posting pictures of your catch here!

Just saying

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
As with everything - times have changed, BP doesn't own this site anymore. (which some may argue the demise of this site). This site was also launched without Facebook as a sister medium that has the power to DESTROY soltitude along a river....I think we can all agree this is easier done now than ever before.

Bottom line...I totally get both arguments to this, share or not share...I get it. It will be debated forever. I agree with CFM that there is alot more to share here than just pics. But at the same time I don't think every system should turn into the Puyallup river during Humpy season, especially on the OP.

I know my elders who fished out there, before the internet, would roll over in their grave if they knew I was disclosing their fishing locations to thousands of people.

Some things are worth arguing/fighting for is all...not one person in necessarily right in any of this. CFM makes valid points as well.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You might need to say it twice. Have fun! I am headed to my secret spot now. There are probably 10 boats there tho.
This place is a shadow of what it use to be. Its too bad. People leave for all sorts of reasons. Ya know C..that was one of the things that kept me from posting pics. Mandatory tell all that is. That, and all the childish attacks on folks that did post pics.
Sorry Joej. Kinda ifiltrating your thread.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Access road in off 101 road is marked with Queets recreation access sign, the road will take you about 2miles in to the first bridge, parking there walk in down stream, Salmon river there will empty into the Queets river about a mile or so down stream. The Queets is also an excellent river. That area is open, and usually patrolled by game officials, its not uncommon to see them in there walking along the river. (That area there is national park) As you get down farther in there, a National Park information board posted as well just before the first bridge on the corner.
Jesus dude.... you just don't get it. You obviously don't value solitude and a peaceful fishing experience. To OP, go get a gazetter and start driving.
I agree silver slayer. Why in the hell would you want to sell out solitude and peacefulness? Blabbing about places like this on the Internet is what ruined a lot of good fisheries in the past 20 years. Boooooooo Corey Boooooooooo!
Corey-I am sure you are a nice guy with good intentions. But please don't ever post that info again on the internet. Unfortunately hundreds of people read these threads, not just the person who asked originally.

And no none of us own that system - but there is a difference between educating a person on how to fish compared to, WHERE to fish. It doesn't take long for a spot to become a "combat zone" and that area holds priceless reverence to ALOT of people. (myself included)

I also have no problem sharing techniques with people, but some fishing locations are meant to be found, not advertised on the internet. It also has nothing to do about being able to catch fish myself, I have no problem going toe to toe against anyone throwing hardware.

Of course ALL my opinion, but shared my many.

JoeJ-sorry for the side-rants. I hope you enjoy the OP with your family when you go! As people have mentioned already-doublecheck emergency rules, there are a multitude of options to fish in one of the most beautiful areas of the country.
Well now, I'm glad to see there are still passionate people here on this board. Of course all of you have valid points.

As you know, the Clearwater, Queets, Salmon rivers are among my favorite rivers to fish in the fall. But like anything, to be successful fishing these rivers includes many hours on the water. How do you gain that knowledge, well by getting out there and just doing it. I've always preached that. You can't catch any fish on your couch, and you can't catch any fish by following yesterday's reports. Go out on your own and make the reports yourself. It will be rewarding trust me.

But gaining knowledge through others. Why not, if there are folks willing to share, simply on the basis because they want to share their passion of fishing with others good for them. Does it rub folks they wrong way sure. But think about how you got started fishing??? Did someone share their knowledge, their passion with you??? I'd like to think so. There are not many of my fishing buddies that I haven't shown a technique, or a favorite fishing spot, knowing full well that there going to fish there without me, and better at it than me. Do they abuse this knowledge??? Some of my fishing buddies that I don't fish with anymore have, and I learned from that, but the handful I fish with now have regarded this info as their own, and have taken in account it's value or meaning of any fishery I choose to share with them.

In fact, this past weekend I wanted to fish a certain area I had no clue where to launch, how to fish it, even what to use. But I reached out to a friend that knows this fishery like his backyard, and he was more than happy to share his knowledge of this fishery. So I texted him back, and "thanked" him for the heads up and mentioned that "you'll probably have more company now". You know what his reply was, and I could sense his maturity and candidness as a fishermen. "Oh no problem Joe, it's not like we are fighting for the same rock". I replied back to him "true that".
Again another response from my buddy "you got to remember it's like my home river, so I have other spots, just helping a brother out"!!!

All I can say is, fishing is our passion, if you choose to share your knowledge, knowing full well that you won't be alone the next time out, maybe not, also knowing that you'll get a bunch of fallout from other passionate fishermen such as yourself, that's their problem. You just gotta have thick skin, and let it roll off your back. Fishing is a learning experience!!!

Let's just go fish, life is too short not to enjoy it!!!

See you on the water,
Winterun

Reactions: JoeJ and Stonefish

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well put Joe.
I don't fish streams nearly as much as I do the salt now.
I've always believed more in "sharing how, then where". There will always be well know spots and they're going to attract crowds. Even if you did tell someone where to go and what technique to use they still need their own self motivation to go get it done.

The beach crowds have been crazy this year due to the humpies. Inevitably they'll be the one guy who can't keep his mouth shut and all you hear all morning is his flapping his lips.

There is something to be said for fishing in solitude. I personally seek it out, as you've seen in the past.
I found myself fishing a beach this past Sunday with nobody else around. Three coho later in less then an hour and the only noises I'm hearing are seals and birds. There is no way I'm sharing that spot on the web, but I'd be more then happy to share techniques etc.
SF

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
I have only fished on the OP several times and that was decades ago. I don't have any secret spots there but some friends do and I only mention the techniques they use. The only secret spots I know of is like Reiter Ponds on the Sky.....The Safeway hole on the Pew, Barrier Dam on the Cowlitz, Blue Creek .......Drano, Wind River.....I got more but they are also secret.....so stay away........RJ out.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
RJ,
I think you forgot to mention one, if you drive down I-5 from Tacoma about 2 1/2 hrs and you cross a river that starts with T, you've gone too far. Back track to the next exit, park at said bridge, walk down the T river to the mouth that dumps into the C river. I hear the Coho just stack in there in the fall, but for some reason they only bite at night!!! Or if that's not your cup of tea, and you have a boat, and it's not too far from that secret spot, launch at the C-Rock boat ramp and get inline with all the other boats trying to fish the same stretch. Funny thing is though those fish bite during the day and these spots are only a 1/4 mile apart funny right. But I love that spot, the Ol' Car Lot Hole.......ooops was I supposed to mention that??? ;)

Have fun out there!!!
Winterun

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
Winterun

All the cars parked is a dead giveaway to a secret spot...that only the owners of those cars know about.........mums the word.............RJ out.

·
Banned
7,960 Posts
I think salt water secret spots are easier to hide.....because you need GPS to stay on them. Even with other boats around if your not just so on the drop off with bait on the screen you will not likely hookup......Been there, done that....................OP rivers are more wild and access is limited if I recall so I guess maybe secret spots with just the right fish holding rock is easier to keep a secret.............RJ out.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
RJ,
I think you forgot to mention one, if you drive down I-5 from Tacoma about 2 1/2 hrs and you cross a river that starts with T, you've gone too far. Back track to the next exit, park at said bridge, walk down the T river to the mouth that dumps into the C river. I hear the Coho just stack in there in the fall, but for some reason they only bite at night!!! Or if that's not your cup of tea, and you have a boat, and it's not too far from that secret spot, launch at the C-Rock boat ramp and get inline with all the other boats trying to fish the same stretch. Funny thing is though those fish bite during the day and these spots are only a 1/4 mile apart funny right. But I love that spot, the Ol' Car Lot Hole.......ooops was I supposed to mention that??? ;)

Have fun out there!!!
Winterun
Thanks for giving away RJ's secret spot winter! I would bet you that RJ has never even fished that secret spot!

But you nailed him again!

laugthing.gif

This is the 21th century the last time that I checked, so sport fishers can and will reach out to wherever they can to get what they have paid to get. The days and movies of the "River Runs through it" are done and past history. The wild fish boys are fighting hard to keep it the way that and they want it to be 20 years ago again, but it ain't going to happen.

Secret spots are only secret when they are located way off the I-5 corridor . It's just a matter of TIME, and all of your guys past secrets and spots will no longer exists and you guys know it. Enjoy the few days or limited months of that kind of limited knowledge. Live life for what it is, and don't try to limited it to others.... as long as you folks can because you are now living in a time and place that has gone and pasted your guys way of thinking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow, what a shit storm I inadvertently started. I'm usually the type to find my own spots, and have spent 1000's of hours on my local rivers learning ever nook and cranny. Unfortunately, that's not a reality for me on this trip. I just needed some quick access for 1/2 a day of fishing. While I wasn't necessarily looking for a specific spot, and didn't expect one, this advice given is pretty awesome. I'm sure my father and I will have a great time. Corey, I sincerely appreciate the info brother! Sorry you are getting so much shit for it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Oh, by the way, it's true that I don't fish the OP rivers, but I went to court for sport fishers that do, and that is a fact because I have the same rights to use and fish those waters as they do.

You have a problem with Mental?
Didn't you go to court for the continued harvest of wild steelhead on the coast? Yes I have a huge problem with that, especially since you have don't fish up there and vaguely know the issues of OP wild steel.

Joe I hope you have an oustanding day with your father the heat was no way directed at you. Just Corey and our resident non fishing genius CNF.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I think if its not the Cowlitz, Puyallup or Skok, then it's s not internet worthy. If someone actually participates on a board and asks about other waters, send a PM. Screw those who come here to take but add nothing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Dimples that post is beyond gold! I'll be fishing the skok on Friday floating tuna eggs. I'll let others know how it goes.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Rite on dimples. Times have changed CFM. You are proven to be too stubborn and naive to comprehend this. There are a lot of people surfing these forums just looking for a tip. Guess what happens after they find one. I am all for being tight lipped in this new era of information availability. Makes absolutely no sense to reveal a good shore fishing spot on a river. It will not be "good" any more. A fact these days.

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
I think if its not the Cowlitz, Puyallup or Skok, then it's s not internet worthy. If someone actually participates on a board and asks about other waters, send a PM. Screw those who come here to take but add nothing.
Times are always changing, but people don't!

Isn't that about all that the ten or 15 so called "members here" now do and post about anymore? All they post about is where they want other to go, while they run off to fish at their private secret fishing places these days. They post pictures of their catches "once in a while" when they want to, and that's where it ends at.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.