Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't ordered through the Cabelas catalog or website in a couple of years...

Has anyone done so recently, or more specifically, can anyone confirm if Cabelas is now charging WA state sales tax for your online/catalog orders?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I'm calling in a order tomorrow they carry my sizes in the catolog but not in the store :cry: I will let you know, I heard we would be taxed.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
It is normal for State Sales Tax to be collected by catalog retailers who also have a physical store in a State subject to Sales Tax.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I think it is only charged tax if it is shipped from within the state that it is being sent to. Since WA doesn't have a distribution store, you shouldn't be taxed, thats how I understand it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I did not get charged any tax on the wading jacket I orderd last week, mabey because the Lacey store did not stock the item.

·
Registered
584 Posts
You get charged state sales tax if the business has a physical presence in that state. For example, if you order from Target.com you get charged WA sales tax because target has stores in WA. The items aren't shipped from WA though.

However, I believe Cabelas is pretty smart and they operate their retail stores under a different business than online/catalog. This way they only have to charge sales tax in states where their catalog/website has a physical presence. If they do operate under the same business, sales tax will be added to their site soon.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I think Lofty has it right. I ordered a couple things since the store has been open and have not paid sales tax. I have been watching to see if they were going to start adding it, so far, no tax. It's also good to note that the prices are not always the same in the store as they are online. If you see an online price that is cheaper than the store price, let them know, they will match it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just placed an order for some line and paid no tax, just the product price and shipping to Tacoma.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts