Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bunch of these old books. For folks who have lived around awhile, you'll likely remember the name Stan Jones. He produced, I believe annually, a Washington State fishing guide book. As a kid, I used to read and dream about fishing all the cool places I read about in his books.
A buddy recently gave me a guide book from 1960 / 61. It is a blast to look at the old ads for tackle and sports shops. There is an ad for a place called Ben Paris Sports Shop at Fourth & Pine in Seattle. They sold tackle, had a restaurant, cocktail bar, billiards, barber shop, sold smokers supplies and had a shoe shine stand. A tackle shop with a cocktail bar sounds like my kind of place. ;) You could also buy a Evinrude outboard from Frederick & Nelson's Department Store.

Here is a list of the top 5 winter steelhead streams 1957/58 and 1958/59

1957 / 58
Hump - 11,404
Green - 11,381
Skagit - 10,761
Cowlitz - 9,448
Puyallup - 7,954

1958 / 59
Skagit - 14,803
Green - 9,914
Hump -8,501
Cowlitz -7,573
Puyallup - 6,873

Anyone else keep any of these old books?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Brian, I remember where Ben Paris was. I moved to WA in 1974 and had a job downtown Seattle. On my walkabouts I spent a lot of time around Ben paris, Warshals, and Eddie Bauer when EB still was north of the Bon. I wish that I would have kept some of the old literature that I picked up.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
very cool! If those #'s to the right of the river name are the amounts of fish taken that year...OMG!! Look how they've declined! 11,000+ on the Green? I'd be happy if it was half of that now. That's what 40 years of pollution, poaching, nets and flooding will do.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I remember those books. I used to get one every time a new one came out. Anualy,I think. Wish I still had some of those myself. It would be realy cool to look thrugh some of those today. Brings us back to the old saying."If I only knew then, what I know now." :roll:

·
Registered
30 Posts
In 1999 my uncle who was a steel junkie, well at least it lead to two divorces :roll: passed away and left me a book that was so old that the pages were brown and falling apart. In the book it has every river and fishing holes, boat access, and what to use on the individual rivers. Times have changed however he (the book) has lead me to alot of holes that I would have never found nor looked for. The Sky, Pilchuck, Wallace, Skagit, Cascade, on and on!! To date it is the most help in the early years for finding fish! :D Now things like gps, GF.com and guys like you, are alot of help!! Tup:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
What memories when you find an Old Outdoor Book that you had misplaced and again uncover. Here's a couple of good one's I found the other day. " TRAPPER "

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have a book by Henning's called "Washington Fishing Guide" by Helstrom Publications out of Portland, Ore.
It use to come out every year or so, but is now long gone. Great referance book though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts