Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new ff a few weeks ago it is mounted on a 8' Livingston I put the transducer on a board that clamps on the back of the boat. Had to tweak it a few times to get it in clean water but I have it reading good now. But the problem is I still get a lot of interference when I turn the the sensitivity up more then 60% I am getting a good bottom read but screen goes almost black when I try to turn it up. For the power supply my battery box has 12 volt accessory outlets like a cigarette lighter outlet I wired on a plug so I can remove easily. Could I be getting interference from running off the same power supply as the motor.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
That sounds typical, most ff I've used I don't turn them up much over that, basically you adjust the gain till you start getting interference then back it off a little. If you can adjust a ff to 100% and not have interference, there is something wrong.
If your using it around other boats there signal can and will effect yours and often times make your ff useless while in range of the other boat. If your ff has a noise suppression adjustment this can help eliminate some of the noise from others around you.
Spend some time playing with the settings/adjustments and learn how to tune it manually, you'll get alot more out of it then you will with auto settings.
Good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
It all depends which model Sonar you have, and how deep you are when you are trying to turn up the sensitivity. If you are in water less than 20 feet, and you are using a high power unit, then turning up the sensitivity could black out your screen.

Doe interference show only when the outboard is running, but not when it is off? Then the motor is causing the interference. Usually the outboard won't affect the screen. Turbulence across the transducer will, as will if the transducer isn't fully submerged.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to say the motor is a minnkota 40 lb maxxum The ff is a Seafinder 480 DF by Eagle and I was fishing in 50 ft. of water

1 - 4 of 4 Posts