Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any luck targeting this Species? "TRAPPER"

Ohop Lake was surveyed by a three-person crew from May 9-10, 2000. Multiple gear types (electrofishing, gill nets, and trap nets) were utilized to reduce any sampling bias associated with each sampling method. A total of 565 fish, representing ten species and the family Cottidae were sampled at Ohop Lake. Of those, largescale sucker (Catostomus macrocheilus) and yellow perch (Perca flavescens) were the two most abundant by number, respectively. Largescale sucker and and largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides) were the two most abundant by biomass, respectively. Other species sampled included: rainbow trout (Onchorynchus mykiss), black crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus), coho (Oncorhynchus kisutch), brown bullhead (Ameiurus nebulosus), pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus), cutthroat trout (O. clarki), sculpin (family Cottidae), lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis), and bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus). Sample sizes for most species were too low to draw firm conclusions about the balance of the fish community as a whole. Largemouth bass and black crappie are two of the more important warmwater species in Ohop Lake, though neither were abundant in our sample. Growth of largemouth bass was high, and many age classes were present. This species probably provides most of the warmwater angling opportunity. Recommendations for Ohop Lake include: 1.) an angler creel survey to estimate angler preference, effort, and harvest; 2.) continued fish community surveys during both spring and fall season; and 3.) an assessment of secondary productivity.

·
Premium Member
1,541 Posts
I have seen a few caught at the boat launch by the creek. A coworker lives on the lake, he's never said a thing about them. On the oter hand I did'nt see catfish in the survey, and I know they are in there too. Also what's up with the coho? Said coworker found a large dead salmon last year, maybe we have the new coho hot-spot :eek:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kokanee Kid said:
Said coworker found a large dead salmon last year, maybe we have the new coho hot-spot :eek:
Anything to take the pressure off the Koke's, leaving more for us. wink:
"
"

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe that there is only brown bullhead in Ohop and that is the catfish being caught. I have fished this lake quite a bit and never caught a whitefish. The funny thing is I count 11 species sampled plus the Cottidae family not 10 species. Makes you think about surveys.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We used to do pretty good catching Crappie at the Southend of Ohop Lake (until the famliy of Otters came through and started wiggling the lilly pads.) :(
"TRAPPER"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Coho spawn naturally in the creeks. I think they can access both the nisqually and the puyallup from either end of the lake. I know for a fact that just down stream from the Lynch creek/ohop junction there are increasing numbers of coho coming back. The Nisqually Tribe has been working real hard to get Ohop creek back in shape and it seems to be paying off. That said, the coho in the lake are probably from natural spawners that migrate up into the lake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts