Game Fishing Forum banner

Nothing could be finer, than MA 9’er

5K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  Slowleak 
#1 ·
I didn’t think the weather would allow me to get out this weekend, but when I woke this morning and checked the marine forecast, it was too good to pass up; south wind 10 to 15 knots, becoming light later in the day.

I started out in MA 10, downrigging at Jefferson Head, where I had just one good takedown, but it came up empty.

Next I moved up the SW corner of MA9, where I caught a 26� blackmouth. I was trolling in 105’ of water, with 170’ of cable out and the 15lb ball within 3 feet of the bottom.

I fished this area a little longer and then headed to the west side of Possession Bar to fish the tide change. The weather forecast was accurate too, barely any breeze at all, making it easy to troll and stay on top of any depth contour. I trolled north with the end of the out going, and then reversed direction when the current started running in. Soon after I caught a 22� blackmouth in 95 feet of water, with 145’ of cable out.

Both fish were caught using a silver flasher and green/blue spatter back UV hootchie,
with an thick black gummy anise based scent that I wish I knew the name of,
but the label wore off long ago,
and I am desperately trying to find more,
because I only have a little bit left,
and it is my goto scent,
so help me if you know what store carries it,
because it is not at the big sporting good stores in Seattle, Fife, Federal Way, Auburn, or Lacey. -->;)
Guess WWF just did there first HD PPV tonight.

Are you going Bluray or HD? I am HD but might buy a Playstation 3 for the BlueRAY.stores are running 2 60 inch DLPs side by side. One with Comcast and one with Direct. They were doing this so the customers could see what provider they like. Circuit city sells both Comcast and Directv. They wont push you either way.

All you have to do is look at the blocking between channels and lack of immediate picture lock with Comcast to know somethings not right. Its called tilling and Cable is loaded with it!
Then look at the clarity on facial features. Thats the easiest to dissern better HD. dont look at colors as thats a function of the TV not the HD. Look for lines and clarity. You will see Comcast has a blur on lines compared to the dish delivered signal. You will also see faint shadows as well on Cable delivered HD.

Now another thing to know, Even with Directv and Dish some of the HD channels are not true HD and are in HD lite. (there is a class action suit about HD lite from consumers as its not disclosed by Cable or Sat companys) on Comcast only a handful of channels are true 1080I or even 780i true HD besides the locals. On Direct ESPN is not true HD as well as Bravo and about 15 others. Dishnetwork is the worst offender with not only ESPN (they are worst along with Bravo on cable or dishs) they have the old Voom HD channels. ALL of them are HD lite about 1

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Great post as per usual! You have gotta be one of the top salt guys in WA Tup: Its always such a pleasure reading about your adventures.

EXCELLENT! clap:

#10 ·
Great report, I am glad there is at least some fish on Possession! My friend was there last week, and was pretty much disappointed - no bait, no takedowns, no shakers - nada! Looks like it starts to come back. Last year it was excellent in mid-February, I hope it will be the same again.

Alex

#15 ·
HB:

My son and I saw you out there... We were the dumb a$$es in the Alumaweld Intruder at Possession Bar... We probably looked crazy out there the way we were driving around... The story is that we were mapping the bottom contour to plot out our trolling routes... That was the first day we have ever been out there and it was beautiful... We saw you landing one of your fish - don't know if it was the 26 incher or not...

Question -- how in the heck do you drop 145' of line for a 90' - 100' contour? Like I said, we are new to this so I'm learning... When we troll, I am trying to keep my line at a 45* angle to the boom for trolling speed, we are using a 12lb ball, and I can only let out about 10' more line than the depth that I am reading before I start tagging bottom. I have checked to make sure that my depth sounder and my downrigger read the same depth while not moving during slack tide.

The only thing that I can figure is that you are trolling much faster than we are. Am I going to slow?

Beautiful boat BTW....

#16 ·
Idlechater said:
My son and I saw you out there...
That was the 22" fish that you saw.
BTW sweet sounding boat. You have some big horses there.

As for the amount of cable I had out, I tend to troll faster than many, and for blackmouth I hug the bottom. When I first lower the weight and hit bottom, the amount of cable out will be fairly close to the water depth, but within a minute blow back will lift it 30' feet or more off the bottom, so I'll lower it again, and again, and again, until it is stays near the bottom.

#17 ·
Idlechater said:
HB:

My son and I saw you out there... We were the dumb a$$es in the Alumaweld Intruder at Possession Bar... We probably looked crazy out there the way we were driving around... The story is that we were mapping the bottom contour to plot out our trolling routes... That was the first day we have ever been out there and it was beautiful... We saw you landing one of your fish - don't know if it was the 26 incher or not...

Question -- how in the heck do you drop 145' of line for a 90' - 100' contour? Like I said, we are new to this so I'm learning... When we troll, I am trying to keep my line at a 45* angle to the boom for trolling speed, we are using a 12lb ball, and I can only let out about 10' more line than the depth that I am reading before I start tagging bottom. I have checked to make sure that my depth sounder and my downrigger read the same depth while not moving during slack tide.

The only thing that I can figure is that you are trolling much faster than we are. Am I going to slow?

Beautiful boat BTW....
If you are keeping a 45* angle, you should be able to let out way more than 10 feet more than the bottom depth. I typically run about a 30* angle, which would mean I'm going slower than you, and I typically let out anywhere from 180' to 200' of cable to fish a 150' depth, depending on the current. I also use 12 pound balls. My water speed is typically 1.4 to 2.2, I tend to troll a little slower than most and still need to let out a ton of line.

If you have checked you sounder and your rigger for accuracy and they are OK, I'm puzzled why you would only be putting out 10 more feet???

I'm sure someone will have an answer for you...

Almost forgot...Nice fishies HB!!

#21 ·
Hmmmm.... I am going to have to investigate this a little more... One difference that may or may not be a large factor is that I am using Power Pro braided line... It is my understanding that it is substantially thinner than the stainless steel line... I believe I am close to the bottom because when we move from say 120 feet (and I have my DR set at 115) up to 115, I will begin to bounce bottom... That said, I need to do more investigation to convince myself that I am really where I want to be...

Okay -- I'll just admit it -- I can't stand the fact that HB landed two fish and we didn't even get a bite!!!! ;)

#22 ·
Idlecatcher, I was also out there on the bar with you, I was in the blue Weldcraft. Tried getting you on channel 68 but no response. I also didnt get any fishies that day. I showed up pretty late, as I tried out bush point before I went to posession.

Nice fish HB. As usual you put a hurting on them with a great report.

I also dont understand how you have so much wire out for the depth, I drop an 18 lbs ball and usually move about 2.1-2.8 knots depending on the tide pull. I very rarely run my wire over 20 degrees as i hate trying to figure out the actual depth. but I also have the luxuary of being able to point my sounder back a bit and see my ball and flasher at actual depth. Doesnt always work but when in doubt I try it. Works about 70 % of the time.

#24 ·
Split the difference and use 15#ers clown: .

I actually use 15# balls and tend to run around a 30 degree angle. I also am within 10-20 feet of bottom from the rigger reading and actual depth using ss cable. A lot depends on boat speed, surface currents, sub-surface currents and tide. The rest of the difference is just the fisherman :lol: .

#25 ·
I've thought about going w/ 15 pounders. I'm just used to what the 12 pounders do. I know how deep I need to be for the speed and depth. I'd have to go through a whole new learning curve and I'm way too lazy for that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.